Where have all the Speakers Corner members gone?

john bunyan 09:06 21 Aug 2014
Answered

I am copying HB for music analogies, but if one substitutes "forum members" for "flowers" in the link, it expresses a regret for what appears to be a "mass extinction"

Pete Seegar

Aitchbee 09:59 21 Aug 2014

This Kinks 'protest song' expresses a similar feeling with very strong graphics for anyone of a nervous disposition.

click here

Mr Mistoffelees 10:02 21 Aug 2014

I miss the days when Speakers Corner was busy and conspiracy theorists would come here to get wound-up.

spuds 10:52 21 Aug 2014

"I miss the days when Speakers Corner was busy and conspiracy theorists would come here to get wound-up."

Perhaps not so much 'conspriracy theorists, but more about people attempting to contribute their own opinions, then being shot down, usually with personal insults by some of those that know or think they alone have all the right and only answers?.

Quickbeam 11:07 21 Aug 2014

I would put it down to the growth of the social networks use of very easy to use apps that allow instant notification and continued easy input to a conversation that interests you.

I believe that the PCA Forums format has been left floundering by a technological ebb tide on a wilderness shore and that a major site change would be the only way to revive it.

spuds 11:15 21 Aug 2014

"I believe that the PCA Forums format has been left floundering by a technological ebb tide on a wilderness shore and that a major site change would be the only way to revive it."

I might stand corrected, but hasn't the site had a number of changes including recent changes, that are still ongoing?.

Quickbeam 11:22 21 Aug 2014

spuds

The changes haven't been ground breaking changes. Many more now use a mobile device to access the web, and accessing this site via a mobile device is like swimming in treacle!

Another site facelift won't work, a new approach from the ground up that suits how we access and interact is needed.

Woolwell 12:07 21 Aug 2014

There seem to be plenty of viewers but not contributors. The number of contributors does seem to have reduced but you need to have interesting subjects to discuss. It can appear like a close club at times and perhaps a bit intimidating for newcomers. I think that I too some time after I first joined before I posted to Speaker's Corner. I've been shot down a few times and there was one occasion when I nearly didn't come back.

Flak999 12:41 21 Aug 2014

It's not difficult to deduce the reason, think about it for a bit!

wee eddie 12:47 21 Aug 2014

If they have been experiencing as many "Long Running Script" Issues and "IE Crashes" as I have, I'm surprised even the "old" Faithful's are still around.

p.s. Neither of these problems occur on any of the other sites that I visit.

Phil Ocifer 13:19 21 Aug 2014

I'm a very rare visitor these days due to all the rules & regs, overall site speed and profusion of in-yer-face advertisements. Access via a mobile device is actually better for me, however there's more to life than this forum and I'm partaking elsewhere. Thx.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017