Where are the new horseboxes?

oldbeefer3 21:43 29 Mar 2010

Is it just rural Shropshire - we seem to be inundated with R reg (or earlier) diesel boxes that belch smoke and do 20 MPH (at best). Does anyone buy new ones?

Paul-1379466 21:55 29 Mar 2010

I know a farmer who goes everywhere on his tractor including shopping etc, always with a pair of old blue overalls on despite him being it's said a millionaire.

When I asked what he does when people want to get by him he said if they hoot me I move further to the middle of the road.

He doesn't give a monkeys uncle about what others think.

Brumas 22:48 29 Mar 2010

I looked up the definition of the noun 'Pillock' in the dictionary and your farmer friend fits the bill to a tee, you could also prefix it with the adjective arrogant!!

Quickbeam 23:05 29 Mar 2010

New ones tend to be bought by professional competing equine types that can offset the cost against tax on a business. Then they filter down to the amateur competitors that buy them at 8 to 10 years old, that generally compete for a trophy only.

If you're really on a shoestring budget, you buy a knackered 15 year old 7.5 tonne truck and fit 25 year old equine bodywork onto it, that doesn't quite fit the chassis. When that combo is even more knackered, the bodywork becomes a cheap stable in an isolated field for a rescued donkey, and the truck chassis for some reason gets left to rot in the front garden of a sink council estate house...

Strange question to ask on a Monday night, I hope I've answered it fully;)

WhiteTruckMan 23:52 29 Mar 2010

are horseboxes, usually driven by people with only car licenses and no idea how to handle a commercial vehicle. Usually not in the best of conditions either.

A couple of weeks ago I took a truck for its mot, and in the lane next to me were two women in a clapped out old horsebox that just about made it to the testing station in chadderton (manchester) before it broke down in the station. The vosa people were non too impressed, but even they couldnt get it going again, so a bunch of them elected to push it out of the station. Fortunately I managed to capture the moment for posterity, as its the hardest work I've ever seen a ministry inspector do for a long time.

click here

They even tried bump starting it backwards, which you can just make out in the last second as it dips downward, but to no avail.

WTM

wiz-king 06:50 30 Mar 2010

Didn't they have a spare horsepower in the back?

Quickbeam 07:02 30 Mar 2010

Nice one WTM, a lot of these drivers will come 'in scope' of the new driver CPC requirement in 2014, that should get a lot of them off the roads!

oldbeefer3 09:05 30 Mar 2010

Strange question.... Yes, but I've just driven from Telford to my village - normally 30mins - tonight 45. Reason? The aforesaid. Nuff said!

Paul-1379466 09:14 30 Mar 2010

I never said he was a friend, he is a friend of a friend.

carver 09:21 30 Mar 2010

All you have to do is go to any BSJA show to see countless nearly new boxes, if you are one of the top riders you might consider one of these click here# how would you fancy spending that sort of money for something you use twice a week.

We drive a 16 year old box, cost if put up for sale £14000.00- £16000.00 but I suppose in your area their are just too tight to have them serviced properly, a yearly MOT and service on mine is close to £900.00.

WhiteTruckMan, why are you of all people having a go at horse box owners and classing them all together, it's the same as a car driver saying all truck drivers are useless and shouldn't be on the road.

carver 09:23 30 Mar 2010

Sorry that link just gave you the site, heres the price, ID 209: 2007 Oakley Supremacy 5 Stalls Horsebox Viewing By Appointment NO VAT £239,000.00

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache