When you change your Password

wee eddie 10:40 17 Nov 2014

Does the Website remember your old Password/s?

If such is the case, could a Hacker then gain a list of all your previous Passwords.

Paranoia Rules ~ OK!

Batch 11:39 17 Nov 2014

The only valid reason for remembering old passwords is to stop you using them again (and some sites / systems do do this for a number of iterations), so why would it matter that a hacker gets access to them.

And of course, one never uses the same password on different sites, does one? ;-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:53 17 Nov 2014

Does the Website remember your Password/s?

Hope so because I can't and its getting worse the older I get.

;0)

Forum Editor 12:53 17 Nov 2014

I can't imagine why a hacker would want to delve into the PCA forum members' password database when there are about a million much juicier databases out there.

wee eddie 00:37 18 Nov 2014

Actually, I was not particularly thinking of this Site, although it's probably as representative as any.

It was as a result of a conversation that I had had earlier in the week about changing Passwords and realised that it was relevant to me as well.

It was said, and confirmed by most of the group, that each of us had a collection of Passwords, with associated Cryptic Clues, that we switched round and about. Some of these combinations had been in use for years.

Now it occurred to me that, should a determined Hacker have access to your old Passwords, then he might easily then have the Cryptic Clue and thereby Password for another Site

BRYNIT 02:00 18 Nov 2014

Now it occurred to me that, should a determined Hacker have access to your old Passwords, then he might easily then have the Cryptic Clue and thereby Password for another Site

Unless the hacker knew you personally and knew which sites you went on this information would be useless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?