When is Spring spung?

Quickbeam 12:53 24 Mar 2008

I noticed this morning that a mile long Hawthorn hedge, that has slowly been turning from bare twig brown to green, is now probably over 90% green. I now can't see the dogs through it when they're routing about.

So to me Spring is now properly here... What do you consider to be the turning point?

Quickbeam 12:54 24 Mar 2008

hssutton 13:06 24 Mar 2008

When the daffodils bloom, which incidentally was early February in my neck of the woods

Blackhat 13:22 24 Mar 2008

Vernal equinox, March 20/21.
click here
It does not matter what the weather is doing. I find it irritating that people think the seasons are variable depending upon the weather. We may well get winter like weather at the end of November, but it’s not winter etc.

spuds 14:31 24 Mar 2008

We have had buds on trees plus daffodils growing in the garden for the past couple of weeks, but the cold weather and yesterdays snow, as caused the wildlife to seek urgent supplies of food. So as Spring really sprung yet!.

setecio 14:36 24 Mar 2008

I'm with the fauna and florists on this one rather than the planetists.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 24 Mar 2008

and no it is not a mis-spelling :0)

What to wear for the British weather:-

Summer (Hot) shirt sleeves

Summer (normal) + a jumper

Spring / Autumn and a coat

Winter add scarf and woolly hat to the above

Bingalau 15:18 24 Mar 2008

I've got a tree in the garden which normally does not shed its lovely brown leaves in the winter. This year however it did so. But now it has a display of pink blossom on its branches that I have never known it to have before. Do trees change sex or something?

€dstowe 16:56 24 Mar 2008

Trees behaving like that are an indication of stress. I had a peach tree that did more or less the same, produced one peach (its only fruit, ever) at the end of summer then died.

Forum Editor 17:06 24 Mar 2008

like birds nesting and the frogs in my pond producing spawn - tons of it. That seems to be happenong a little earlier this year.

rawprawn 17:38 24 Mar 2008

It's difficult to believe, but I have a wood Anemone in my wall which has been flowering continually for the last 3 or 4 months. I have the same species in my garden which are only just coming out of the ground.
The Anemone in question was not planned, and must be from when I cleaned out the wall and put in more soil from the garden.
There are 3" of small pebbles over the soil in the wall. I have put in another 30 corms to try and replicate, but I doubt a successful outcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?