When the sale is made stop the pitch

PalaeoBill 21:30 30 Jan 2007

I received a telephone call tonight from a nice man at BT trying to sell me broadband. Nothing unusual in that, you might think. Well.. it is one more call in a very long succession of calls that have been made at varying intervals.
It is not as if I don't want broadband, I have broadband. I have BT business broadband and therein lies the problem. I have a domestic line and a business line and the domestic and business arms of BT don't talk to each other (apparently there is no way of making them). I get a note put on my domestic account and the calls stop until the note expires (there is no way to make a permanent note). So I am destined to be called for eternity by salesmen trying to sell me a product I have already bought.

Any ideas out there?

Forum Editor 22:28 30 Jan 2007

when she was at university - I kept her short of money apparently - and she told me they simply get numbers coming up on their screens, they have no knowledge about the person they're calling.

Under the provisions of The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls, and you can register your wish not to be called.

click here to do that.

p;3 22:43 30 Jan 2007

I would like to know from where they get ones phone number even if one's number is exdirectory?

Forum Editor 22:54 30 Jan 2007

they presumably get it from one's account details.

GaT7 23:09 30 Jan 2007

I can confirm that the FE's suggestion to register with the TPS does work indeed.

4-5 years ago I used to get about 2-3 marketing calls a week, which isn't that bad but I'd had enough. On someone's recommendation I registered with the TPS & for the last 3-4 years get <10 a year. I think it takes about 30 days to come into effect. I cannot guarantee it'll work as well for you with BT/others but is definitely worth a try. G

p;3 00:00 31 Jan 2007

if one is exdirectory, and there is supposed to be a privacy thingi on ones account ; how can anyone get hold of your phone number?

or is someone selling them to companies?

Totally-braindead 01:29 31 Jan 2007

I'm ex directory and had 2 calls in the past week both from BT who presumably have access to my phone number. The one today I kind of lost my temper at as I was promised last week that a note would be put on my account to stop them phoning. Either this has not happened or they are ignoring the note.

laurie53 06:07 31 Jan 2007

I am registered with TPS and I still get, on average, one unwanted phone call a day.

Companies do sell details on. I have an ongoing complaint with the Data Commissioner over an approach from a company quoting from my account details with another company, which I had not authorised them to pass on

Laurie

PalaeoBill 07:32 31 Jan 2007

I am registered with TPS. I think BT can ignore this as I am already a customer.

monkeyboy21 10:30 31 Jan 2007

I think, but i'm not too sure, that when you register with the TPS, there is a note that only companies selling are prevented from contacting you, not companies that are only involved in marketing. I've recently just registered with the TPS, which is why this sticks out! Hence, you may still receive calls!

p;3 10:44 31 Jan 2007

from the phone calls we have received there seems to be a very fine dividing line (if any) between a 'marketing'phone call and a 'sales'phone call

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?