What's your favourite price-comparison site?

Production Ed 11:46 16 Sep 2009

Many thanks to everyone who recommended Google applications for last month's Readers' Sites. Our new Readers' Sites champion is Newuser38, for his recommendation of Picasa.

Now we'd like to hear your recommendations of price-comparison websites. Which ones do you use, how effective do you find them and what's the most you reckon you've saved by doing so?

We're just as interested in mainstream and obscure sites - the main thing is that you tell us why you'd recommend the site in question.

The top 10 recommenders will see their name in PC Advisor magazine, while the champion will also receive a prize (and lasting fame).

Thanks again, and good luck.

David Price
PCA

Production Ed 11:52 16 Sep 2009
  norman47 15:12 16 Sep 2009

I have changed my gas and electricity supplier and saved around £300 a year.
I've also changed my broadband/phone and line rental package from a whopping £240 a quarter from BT to talk talk unlimited for an average over £38 a month all inclusive.

Also switched home insurance with a saving of £100 a year.

Overall I think I am saving around £800 a year.

Not bad for a few clicks.

Seth Haniel 15:33 16 Sep 2009

wins hands down. And the only advert worth watching to boot :)

Spark6 23:27 16 Sep 2009

Please tell us the before and after suppliers.

morddwyd 07:10 17 Sep 2009

"uswitch for me"

My experience with uswitch was not good, as they did not compare like with like.

Having put in my details they told me that I could save money by changing to Direct Debit.

Well, yes, I could have worked that out for myself, in fact the company concerned regularly tells me that anyway, but that's not what I was asking.

norman47 07:58 17 Sep 2009

My electricity was with NPower and gas via British Gas. I moved over to EDF dual fuel on DD.

Broadband phone and line rental was with BT. I moved to talk talk, no line rental, unlimited upto 8Mb BB and free calls to 01,02 and 03 numbers, anytime. My monthly bill includes around £10 extra to mobiles.

Home insurance was with HSBC, we now have it with Tesco.

Spark6 09:04 17 Sep 2009

We have something in common although I have very little faith in price-comparison sites.
I have been with British Gas, NPower and Atlantic and now in the process of transferring to OnLine Utilities for gas and electricity.
Moved over to TalkTalk from BT a couple of years ago.

interzone55 11:50 17 Sep 2009

I tend to use Confused.com for insurance, but invariably find that my present supplier will then match the best quote.

For general shopping I find Google's product search is pretty handy, it used to be called froogle.
click here

Seth Haniel 10:33 16 Oct 2009

I find all the rest of the 'compare' type adverts stupid, annoying, and result in my changing channel to avoid.
No way would I use any of these sites.

The use of a good broker is all that is required.

Stuartli 10:51 16 Oct 2009

I've found that the best of the insurance cover comparison websites is GoCompare - always finds the best cover in my case for car and house insurance.

As for finding the best prices for virtually anything else you want to buy?

Google...:-)

HotDeals is also pretty good, as it's independent, unlike most of the price comparison websites, which tend to stick to those outlets from which they can gain their commission.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?