What's your favourite genealogy website?

Production Ed 11:34 06 Apr 2009

Thanks to everyone who recommended mobile websites for our Readers' Sites round-up. Our monthly champion is Si_L, who recommended the BBC's mobile sports news (click here). Our congratulations to Si_L, who wins a copy of CyberLink PowerDirector 7.0.

Our next topic is family trees. Which websites do you use for genealogy research, and why? What do you like about the site, and what makes it so useful? We're looking for sites both well-known and obscure, provided they are an effective and reliable genealogy resource.

Add your favourite sites, and why you'd recommend them, to this thread or email them to [email protected] to be in with a chance to win our Readers Sites prize.

Thanks
David Price
Production Editor, PCA

Picklefactory 12:57 06 Apr 2009

I use a selection
Genes reunited has gained me connections to many people researching distant members of my family, a good number of whom have pointed me in the direction of data relating to my closer family, I've become acquainted with quite a few distant cousins.

Free BMD is another great source for certificate info. Also use it to cross check dates when unsure of accuracy of data given to me.

Woolwell 13:12 06 Apr 2009

Subscription only but ancestry.co.uk I find the most useful.

perpetual motion 13:14 06 Apr 2009

ive tried these before to track my sister:

click here

click here

Seth Haniel 14:08 06 Apr 2009

For ease of use.
And
click here?
FamilySearch for general look-up - very helpful

Woolwell 14:16 06 Apr 2009

I gave up on Genes Reunited as it kept sending me e-mails with links to people who possibly had similar names in their trees.

Falkyrn 15:30 06 Apr 2009

Scotlands People

Although pay per view site it is the only site which can supply full Scottish records.
click here

Rootschat - a Uk based worldwide forum where problems can be discussed and where many members volunteer assistance.
click here

NewestRoyWidd1 16:21 06 Apr 2009

I've used FamilySearch to get basic info,but Ancestry.com which is free at my local libraries is excellent.
I've found though there's no substitute for family knowledge and help,that's how I have traced my dad's family back to 1720.

Newuser38 17:10 06 Apr 2009

My main site is findmypast.com which I have subscribed to since it was 1837.com. and am about to renew. Does BMD, Census, and Parish records (census and parish not 100% complete)they also have the 1911 census which is extra for full look-up but can be searched by name or location free, and can be accessed by non-members.

Good free one is Freebmd.org which also has some parish records.Also Family Search mentioned above.

The Geneologist is also a good site.

ricardoespana 19:46 18 Apr 2009

My main site is Ancestry.co.uk, and as I own their program,which I find to excellent and of course Rootschat and their forumns is part of Ancestry, but for connections (Hot Matches), I find you cannot beat Genes Reunited.

It is like having three for the price of two.

There is one other website that I recommend for anyone who is either starting out tracing their roots or even have become stuck and that is british-genealogy.com/forums, part of Parish-Chest.

Occassionally, I will use BMD Registers and IGI. Although, IGI is part of Family Search, it is free and for anyone who has ancestors in North America, I have also found this to be an excellent source of research.

I wish anyone good luck in their genealogy research and once you are hooked, you are hooked for a long time.

Si_L 19:54 18 Apr 2009

I have never used a genealogy site before, but just wanted to say thanks for the software!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone