Whats the temperature for the perfect cuppa?

WhiteTruckMan 10:22 04 Nov 2008

This isnt just an academic question. We've had a Tefal quickcup click here for about six months now. How I came by it is a tale in itself, but suffice to say it was a freebie. I admired them since I first saw them, for the fast response time, energy efficient usage and safety aspect (not having any hot water in it after use). I just didnt like the price of them at the time.

Heres the quandary; it does 'everything it says on the tin', but doesn't actually boil water. I've not measured the temperature personally but by all accounts it heats to around 85C. Now thats more than hot enough for a hot drink/instant soup etc. Think how long you have to wait for a freshly boiled cuppa to cool enough to drink safely- unless you are a saucer slurper! Instant coffee seems ok, as the powder has been pre processed, and adding water merely dissolves it (I think) so hotter water will merely result in hotter coffee. But what about tea? Is that extra 10-15 degrees essential in a chemical reaction that releases the ingredients of tea, or does it merely mean that more is released at a hotter temperature, something that can be countered by 'stewing' the tea for longer?

Opinions, anyone? and does anyone else have one of these, and how do you find it?

WTM

smartpoly 10:36 04 Nov 2008

This link might help.

click here

Bits about temp & sleep time.

Quickbeam 11:32 04 Nov 2008

I've always been lead to believe that tea must be made with boiling water to release the flavour. Notes written my high altitude mountaineers where they have water boiling at lower temperatures than at sea level say that the tea isn't as good.

Coffee doesn't require boiling water to release the flavour, in fact it burns the flavour and makes the coffee more bitter. If you make a quick cup of instant coffee switch the kettle off as soon as the water starts to 'sing'. I can't drink coffee made by tea drinkers as they don't do this and look at me gone out if I try to explain.

I'm surprised that none of the kettle makers have thought of selling a kettle with two temperature cut-offs, one for tea 100% and one for coffee 90%.
click here click here

As for the right temperature to drink it, I sip it right away at the made temp, I know of people that let it cool to baby feeding temp... everyone to their own

Quickbeam 11:32 04 Nov 2008

% = degs C

wiz-king 11:43 04 Nov 2008

Instant coffee made with 85 deg water is yuk! It needs near boiling point water to be made properly, otherwise it tastes powdery.

Quickbeam 11:50 04 Nov 2008

"near boiling point" = when the water starts to sing 'sing' The difference between insatnt made at 95 & 100 degs is the difference between drinkable and undrinkable.

Fresh ground coffee is OK made at 90 degs.

Quickbeam 11:51 04 Nov 2008

So good I sang it twice:)

Bingalau 12:25 04 Nov 2008

I always let the water boil and then leave it for a few seconds to go "off the boil" before making coffee. This has the added advantage of purifying the water too. so let the water boil and then wait before adding to the instant coffee.

For making tea I have always understood the water must be boiling, So I always heat the cup with boiling water beforehand and then pour it away and make sure the kettle is boiling before adding to the teabag. However I never drink tea these days. Coffee is the stuff for me.

I was going to mention "tinned tomato's" but will leave that to someone else.

namtas 12:38 04 Nov 2008

Tea has a less acceptable taste and is instantly noticeable when it has been brewed from water that was not at boiling temp, strange, but tea also appears to taste better when taken from a chain cup.

namtas 12:39 04 Nov 2008

oops problem finding a chain cup, try china I am sure that will be much better.

Quickbeam 13:00 04 Nov 2008

Tea in chain cups went out of fashion with soup in a basket...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017