Whats with some of the Amazon sellers

Belatucadrus 13:19 05 May 2017
Answered

There are occasions when I see stuff on Amazon that looks too good to be true, so I drill down to the seller details to see who or where they are. Sometimes it's a Chinese company and I've gone on to get a good deal but frequently there's nothing. No address nothing more than a daft account name like CABLBLABLA, generic cut and paste Amazon comments about customer service, no customer feedback and just the comment that the account has "just launched". Rather than take the risk I usually go back a few weeks later to see if anybody has had a positive experience with them, all too frequently the account has vanished.

As Amazon are presumably covering all the losses incurred if the deal goes pear shaped, why do they have a system that allows the creation of such dodgy accounts ?

morddwyd 20:25 05 May 2017

I have had the odd problem with Marketplace sellers,maybe two or three a year, (I buy at the rate of two or three a month) but I have never been out of pocket, even on p&p charges.

If the seller plays hardball Amazon always steps in and pays the claim in full.

bumpkin 20:48 05 May 2017
Answer

why do they have a system that allows the creation of such dodgy accounts ?

Like most things I would imagine that it is a matter of economics. They either make money from these accounts or it is more costly for them to monitor them than it is to payout on losses.

morddwyd 09:11 06 May 2017

They don't allow the creation of dodgy accounts, any more than banks do.

The accounts become dodgy once they are used!

bumpkin 13:22 06 May 2017

Good point.

Belatucadrus 21:57 07 May 2017

Yet there remain a whole series of fly by night operators who set accounts with dodgy names and no contact address that rarely last more than a month. Now somebody is making money off it but the ephemeral nature of these "Suppliers" looks odd. Are they vanishing of their own accord only to crop up later with a new name or is Amazon security playing catch up and removing them for reasons never revealed ?

morddwyd 09:48 08 May 2017

"Now somebody is making money off it "

Yes, but they are making it out of Amazon, nit the customer, so it's Amazon's problem (unless you are an Amazon shareholder)!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires