What's the point of this PC Advisor Forum?

Cook2 01:30 08 Jul 2004

I'll tell you what, it's brilliant. Over the past several weeks or so, I have followed various advice given and now my system runs perfectly.

There are too many people to mention but I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for the free help and advice you give.

I bet the title caught your attention. LOL

Old Shep 10:11 08 Jul 2004

It certainly did and you will give the Forum Editor palpitations when he see's it. Regards.

denchris 12:21 08 Jul 2004

Yes, with that title, I just had to read it.
I wholeheartedly endorse your comments . .

son-of-a-gun 14:28 08 Jul 2004

I agree with all your comments in this post.

But what or who is LOL or lol I've seen this before and never could get me head around it

Cook2 15:00 08 Jul 2004

LOL? Some say Lots of Love and others loads of laughs. I don't usually use it but I guessed the thread title would get some attention.

Yes, my computer has been behaving perfectly and still is. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, I used to enjoy giving it a heafty kick when it played up, I also enjoyed working through to the early hours to get it working as it should, only to find it very difficult when only two of my three brain cells were working. Hopefully I will be able to pass on some of the knowledge I now have and help others who have the same, or similar problems that I've had in the past.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if everyone were like the helpful, unselfish, great load of people on the site?

son-of-a-gun 15:12 08 Jul 2004

Ah lol
I thought it was loads of lubbish

just joking thanks for the info.

I agree with your 2nd post too.

I'm very, very agreeable today.

Forum Editor 16:19 08 Jul 2004

and I'm sure your thanks will be well received by everyone who offers help and advice in our forum.

Without them of course there would be no forum, and as someone who has been involved right from the start I can say that over the past three and a half years I have never ceased to be amazed at the way so many people devote so much of their free time to help others. This is done without any expectation of reward, or even of thanks, and it is therefore all the more welcome when someone expresses their appreciation of the help they've received.

spikeychris 18:23 08 Jul 2004

Tis still the ultimate example of what a forum should be, even though the Peter the deleter has culled far to many of my posts in the past. ;)

Forum Editor 19:37 08 Jul 2004

Believe me, Peter the deleter doesn't enjoy culling posts - especially those from forum members who have been with us for a long time. Sometimes it has to be done however, and there's never a way to do it without causing a little irritation (or sometimes a great deal). An editor's job isn't always a bundle of laughs, and sometimes it's necessary to do things that seem puzzling to those whose efforts are summarily ditched.

I hate deleting threads or posts, because I know that the person on the receiving end is bound to feel put out. There's no way to do it without this happening, but I will always try to explain the reasons in an email if I'm contacted. A forum like this must have a strong editorial policy if it is to succeed; the alternative is chaos and eventual failure. The fact that you say the forum is "...still the ultimate example of what a forum should be" is surely due in part to our editorial control over the years, as well as to the quality of the help and advice our forum helpers (like you) have provided. It's a partnership, and from our point of view it seems like it's worked pretty well. No online forum will succeed if there's a general free-for-all, there has to be an editor/moderator whose job it is to ensure fair-play and compliance with a code of conduct. You're stuck with me I'm afraid, and if I delete one of your posts try to remember that it isn't personal in any way.

spikeychris 20:21 08 Jul 2004

On a serious note I have almost always known which posts would be deleted, strange thing is I expected them to be so, infact I would have been disappointed if they hadn't as this keeps standards high. I can't remember a time when I have taken it personally. The posts have been made in jest knowing they have a very short shelf life.

Sincerely I believe your editing standards should be the benchmark for all forums (god this sounds sickly) and I say the forum has reached the respect it has because of your influence/input/time and effort.

Thanks for the last 3 years PTD.

Forum Editor 20:24 08 Jul 2004

Cheque's in the post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?