First it was patio heaters
click here

then lightbulbs
click here

Now plasma TVs are to be banned by the EU energy police
click here&

What next?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:05 12 Jan 2009

Next thing is that we will have the people working for the energy companies whining because they are being laid off as consumption has dropped. These ecological nutters are getting on my wick and if they wish to revert back to the stone age then so be it...myself I'll spend MY money how I want to and not at the behest of some over-paid civil service moron who has not got a clue about the real world.

G

interzone55 17:09 12 Jan 2009

What size CRT have you used for the consumption figures, as I can't see a CRT using less power than the same size TFT.

Personally I can't see the point of super large screen plasma displays, most people who have a 50" screen could manage just as well with a 32", but they have to get the biggest TV possible to show off to their mates...

octal 17:14 12 Jan 2009

I'd say good riddance to the damned things, the amount of RF pollution they put, out I'm surprised that they were even allowed to market them in the first place.

newman35 17:32 12 Jan 2009

"..CRT television sets, which use 322kW"

This says the CRT uses the same power as 32 single-bar fires!! My God it must be awfully hot sitting in a room with that TV on - and who pays the electric bill??
Bit more accuracy needed I reckon, PCA. (;-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:39 12 Jan 2009

The wattage usages are per YEAR.

G

newman35 18:26 12 Jan 2009

Then it was meaningless to quote it like it was, surely, without the 'per year' rider??.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:31 12 Jan 2009

'A 42in plasma TV consumes 822kW of electricity per year, compared to the 350kW used by a 42in LCD, and CRT television sets, which use 322kW'..errrm the 'per year' was mentioned prior to the first comma.

G

newman35 18:37 12 Jan 2009

fair cop, guv!

sunnystaines 19:52 12 Jan 2009

i think city center buses and taxi cabs should be clean air on gas or electric no bad diesel or petrol.

AL47 20:05 12 Jan 2009

where will it stop, well this is gonna pee a lot of people off, including me, we have a 50inch plasma in our house, im not personally that fussed its the fact that everything and everything that the EU deems is being banned, im waiting for it to hit cars,
i think you would have an exodus of people out of the UK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?