What's in a name, forsooth?

TopCat® 17:43 04 Aug 2010

Quite a lot it seems, especially from the time of the Norman Conquest - 1066 and all that - from when most of our Anglo Saxon first names began a remarkable changeover. click here

I note that the 'society climbers' of that era were not slow in changing their names to the more fashionable ones we know of today. TC.

Pineman100 18:12 04 Aug 2010

Although the Normans spoke a dialect of French, they were not themselves of French descent. Actually they came originally from Scandinavia - principally Denmark. What's more, they hated the French and the French hated them!

The English language has never been shy about adopting words from other languages, if they filled a need. And that principle clearly applied to names, too. That's why English is probably the richest and most subtly expressive language in the world.

Diemmess 18:39 04 Aug 2010

Quirky though.
I was told that while Norman French was the language of government and the Law, the Norman warlords married Saxon women.
The language of the cradle {Saxon] became after two generations the common language once more with Norman 'Plug-ins' where it helped.

Pineman100 11:36 06 Aug 2010

That sounds interesting.

I must get the Norman plug-in for Firefox.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?