What's happened to our pride?

octal 07:11 12 Apr 2008

When we have to have a law about dropping litter from our cars:
click here
I tackled a couple silly giggling girls in a car outside our house a while back pointing out it was illegal to drop litter in the street, which it is in our area of London. I'm not sure why we have to have another ineffective law that will never be able to be policed.

I see people dropping litter all the time on my journey to work along the road, you dare not tackle them in case you get stabbed.

What's happened to our pride when we have got to have laws to force us to do things we should be doing in the first place?

Quickbeam 08:12 12 Apr 2008

"you dare not tackle them in case you get stabbed."

If the police don't challenge them, they think it's alright. It's a case of where a zero tolerance policy over what might seem a petty offence would work wonders.

Try ringing the police over something they believe to be 'not important enough for us to be bothering with sonny', and see what response you get from them. If they won't give a sympathetic hearing at least, then we just don't report crime. then the government of the day claim crime has fallen, then police funding gets cut because of the fall in crime... then we have the situation we have now, where the Police like to drive around in cars, isolated from the real world dreaming of getting into 'an important' car chase where they can crash through some boxes...

jack 08:14 12 Apr 2008

More to do with parenting and training and that to-days brats sadly lack - you/our fault- no one else to blame.

wiz-king 08:24 12 Apr 2008

Unfortunately some parents lead by example, outside the local junior school you can often see a pile of cigarette ends where someone has emptied the car ashtray into the gutter, dirty nappies thrown into the churchyard grounds opposite.

Quickbeam 08:27 12 Apr 2008

"parenting and training and that to-days brats sadly lack"
Dare I blame human rights here...?

Children should have limited human rights,ie, resonable teacher rules, parent rules override childrens non-rules, until adulthood.

Prisoners should have human rights restricted to suit the severity of the crime, a custodial sentence is one example of the right to freedom being withdrawn. Withdrawing other privileges should be considered OK without fear of breaching human rights.

Whens the next train to Tunbridge Wells...?

Forum Editor 08:48 12 Apr 2008

I understand the feeling behind your comments about human rights, but unfortunately that's one area where we can't compromise - either we aspire to being a society which recognises certain inalienable human rights, or we don't. There are no half measures.

We can temporarily suspend the right to freedom, on conviction for a criminal offence, and in cases of suspected terrorist offences, as you rightly state, but we can't modify a person's human rights because of age. Children are entitled to the same rights as an adult, within the framework of the law and of parental control. A parent may certainly restrict a child's freedom of movement, for instance, without infringing his/her human rights because the law permits it.

Chucking litter into the street is a symptom of a lack of respect for your environment, and for the feelings of your fellow citizens - "I'll behave as I like, and I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks". I was filling up with petrol the other day, and saw a perfect example of this. A group of hooded youths were wandering along the street and came to a telephone kiosk; one of them started kicking and hammering on it, apropos of nothing, and they all laughed and wandered on. It's a symptom of the general malaise that grips some young people at a point in their development, and has done since time immemorial - it's not such a terrible thing until you realise that many people are still doing it when they are well into adulthood.

Throwing litter out of cars is widespread, and not limited to the young. I welcome the new attempt to do something about it, and the method - of fining the registered keeper of the vehicle involved.

hkvic 10:58 12 Apr 2008

".. then we have the situation we have now, where the Police like to drive around in cars, isolated from the real world dreaming of getting into 'an important' car chase where they can crash through some boxes..."

What complete and utter nonsense and absolutely nothing to do with the subject discussed.

WhiteTruckMan 11:03 12 Apr 2008

a knee jerk reaction. It will be interesting to know in a years time just how many people have been sucessfully prosecuted.

Reminds me of the law banning smoking in company vehicles (i.e. the 'workplace'). If the law isnt enforced then you might as well not have it.

WTM

octal 11:05 12 Apr 2008

Although I might welcome the move, call me cynical, but driving whilst using a mobile phone doesn't seemed to have that much effect, it's still widely abused, so why should they take any notice of this law over any other.

I agree with jack it is about parenting and training, but who should be teaching their children pride? So yes, having a sense of pride in you own environment is important, I'm just wondering what their homes are like if they are not taking a pride in the outside world, would they chuck litter on the floor in their home? Maybe they do and mummy clears it up after them, mind you, looking at the ages of some of the culprits they are probably parents themselves.

I saw something interesting in Disney World in Florida last year, there was a leaflet blowing along the ground and an American women who was pushing a pram, stopped the pram, walked over to the leaflet and put it in the bin then went on her way, now that is leading by example.

barca1 11:05 12 Apr 2008

ONE THING i hate so much & its my only "PET" hate is seeing car drivers "Empty" there ashtray's on the street..GRR Actually there's another throwing there MCDonalds cups/burger wrappers in the street..maybe the rules are justified here..? but there should be some exceptions..

Forum Editor 11:37 12 Apr 2008

I don't think it will be at all difficult to enforce the new law. All that's necessary is a photograph of the offending vehicle's registration plate, and all traffic wardens and police officers carry cameras.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?