What's going on in Shildon?

Forum Editor 09:59 06 Sep 2009

Thanks to a few people this County Durham town is responsible for a higher percentage of fraudulent on-line purchases than anywhere else in the UK.

If the population is only 10,000 it would seem to be a relatively straightforward job to find out who the culprits are - surely there would be talk?

click here

Colin 10:20 06 Sep 2009

I saw the article on BBC News and their website this morning.

Det Inspector Geoff Smith, from Durham Police, said: "We had a lady not far from here [Shildon] that was duped into receiving a lot of stolen goods - vanloads of camcorders, digital cameras.

"She had to send them off to criminals in Nigeria, so I'm not surprised by today's figures."

How can that happen? As the FE says, surely someone would know?

crosstrainer 10:35 06 Sep 2009

..Lies, damn lies...and then you have statistics.

In about half an hour, I can state categorically that more cats eat dogs in Llandaff than anywhere else in the UK.

Stats?

There you have it.

jack 10:43 06 Sep 2009

Accept delivery address away from the buyers base without some form of check.
Some years ago I was contacted by my Card Company to ask if I had made a £600 purchase from an Irish IT Co[My guess DELL] to which I replied I had not.
It seems that a purchase had been made on my card with instruction to deliver to an E London address
But the seller baulked at a second attempt to a different address,and contacted the Card Co.
The card was cancelled and a new one issued.
A year later the Card Co phoned early one Saturday morning to ask if I has been to Marrakesh
No I replied.
They listed 3 ATM withdrawals from different spots in the City.
Once more card cancelled and re issued.
In each case it seemed these activities followed on from a recent fuel stop at a certain petrol station.

Forum Editor 12:55 06 Sep 2009

that it was the number of fraudulent purchases which was excessive, it was the percentage, and a high percentage is a high percentage, regardless of the numbers involved.

It's pretty obvious to anyone with even a slight understanding of how the on-line world works that this must be the result of a concerted effort by a few people. The fact that 'van-loads' of items were being delivered to one address is enough to indicate that there are more than a few transactions going on, and I repeat - surely the police should find it a fairly simple matter to track down the culprits?

Jak_1 13:00 06 Sep 2009

I would have thought it would have been quite easy for the police to obtain details of the transactions from the card companies! Same with the ip addresses used by the people using the the cards fraudulantly. usually an email address is requied to make a purchase online in order that confirmation of the order can be sent. A simple check with the isp's would give them the required recipients details or am I being naive!

Jak_1 13:02 06 Sep 2009

Hm, isps' even, I missued the apostrophe.

Forum Editor 13:17 06 Sep 2009

It's not particularly difficult to avoid being traced via an IP address, and people who use cards fraudulently will know how to avoid detection.

Spark6 15:02 06 Sep 2009

One of the items on the news this morning was an interview with, I believe, the manageress of a furniture store. Apparently, beds and bedding are some of the goods obtained fraudulently.
This reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend when I raised the topic of 'stolen' cards and how the perpetrators could get away with delivery of the goods to a traceable address, account or whatever.
He said that he had had a problem with his credit/debit card which he became aware of when he received a telephone call from a London store asking if they could deliver his two orders, bed and bedding, at the same time. As we live in North Somerset it made me wonder.

beeuuem 15:38 06 Sep 2009

Although the figure quoted does seem high there are always dangers in talking percentages without a base value.
For example the figure from this article click here where it is stated that taking biphosphonates reduces fracture risk in osteoporosis patients by almost a half. As stated in the article this actually menas reducing the risk of having a fracture over a period of five years from two to one per cent.

Forum Editor 16:18 06 Sep 2009

quite frankly seems to have something of an obsession when it comes to analysing everything to the ultimate degree. It's starting to get a tad irritating. All I did was attempt to start a discussion about causes - I couldn't really care less if Thamesmead comes higher in a different list. I imagine Shilton stood out because it seems an unlikely spot, being a relatively small place.

So, a small town with a population of 10,000 is number 2 in the top ten postcode areas as far as fraudulent on-line purchases are concerned. No matter which version of the evidence you use it's pretty obvious that something untoward has happened in Shilton, and I'm intrigued by it, and particularly interested to know why the police appear - from the quotes I've seen - to think that investigations are 'hampered' because people are told to report fraud to their banks first. If my credit card is used fraudulently I'm certainly going to tell my bank or card provider before I do anything else - that much is common-sense. I fail to see how a report to a bank could hamper a police inquiry; delay it slightly maybe, but hamper it?

Card Not Present (CNP) fraud accounts for over half of all credit card fraud, and it's on the increase. If the Police can't track down what they refer to as "just one or two people" involved in the Shilton incidents I wonder what chance they can have, faced with the hundreds of thousands of fraudulent on-line transactions that occur each year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?