What’s with all the Counseling?

Blackhat 22:22 05 Jun 2008

I can’t help but notice that more and more these days when there is some sort of tragedy everybody gets offered counseling. What I mean is, absolutely everybody related in any way.

Take for example the tragic death of the school headmaster on the M5 last week, every pupil at his school has been offered counseling.
click here

Also the accidental death of a young boy falling from a window in a block of flats, all tenants in the 18+ floor block have been offered counseling.
click here

There must be a lot of counselors about or a lot of surplus funds in local authorities to be able to offer these services to so many.

Is this a recent trend or has there been some sort of legislation in order to avoid any backlash such as ‘my kid suffered from trauma and nobody counseled him, where’s my compensation?’

I am not trying to be unsympathetic but get real, tragedy happens, we have to deal with it and move on, its part of life. To think that every time we are exposed to it means that we need counseling is unrealistic.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:39 05 Jun 2008

Sounds like the American way, we will all be visiting our "shrinks" next.

Forum Editor 22:43 05 Jun 2008

which is prevalent today which seems to operate on the basis that all of us need to be nursed through life with as little as possible in the way of ripples on our individual ponds. If something horrible happens we're all too delicate and wimpish to deal with it ourselves, and we have to have our psyches massaged by someone who professes to be an expert at counseling.

Quite why we're all deemed incapable of facing life's knocks without some kind of psychological crutch is a puzzle to me - previous generations seemd to manage it pretty well. I'm not talking about armed conflict trauma here - that's something completely different, and we're streets ahead of past generations when it comes to dealing with it. Our obsession is with counseling almost everyone about almost anything bad that happens, and I think it's a negative thing, rather than a help.

Just listen to this - it's one definition of the word counseling, and sums up the kind of pseudo-psychological babble that people seem to love so much these days:

Counseling is "a relatively short-term, interpersonal, theory-based process of helping persons who are fundamentally psychologically healthy resolve developmental and situational issues."

Blimey! I'm really annoyed that over the years I've had to face all my developmental and situational issues on my own, when all along I knew that what I really needed was a touch of relatively short term, interpersonal, theory-based help. I've been struggling with all that stiff upper lip, head down and carry on, call on your inner reserves stuff for nothing.

belfman 22:45 05 Jun 2008

I'd like to comment but my Counselor said I shouldn't talk about it with anyone else.

peter99co 22:50 05 Jun 2008

It is nanny treatment from cradle to grave.

It would be interesting to know where the word and it's first use originated from. I suppose it came from across the pond, like most of these things.
I have had Counseling after Trauma (another strange word)and to be honest do not really know if I had any benefit from it. It was difficult to understand what was being resolved.

Jim Thing 22:58 05 Jun 2008

My youngest daughter's partner is currently in the second year of a Counsellor's course. He occasionally lets me read his course notes and they're loaded with that kind of psychobabble.

But I'd better not say too much as he knows my username on this forum.

Forum Editor 23:21 05 Jun 2008

The word has a Latin root - it comes from the word 'consilium' which means advice/consultation (not to be confused with 'concilium', which is a gathering together - hence 'council').

Some people refer to a connection with the French 'conseil' which is an ancient word used to describe a group of advisers - notably the 'conseil privé' which advised 13th century French kings on legal matters.

Quickbeam 00:58 06 Jun 2008

and get on with things.

Chegs ®™ 03:44 06 Jun 2008

I too have wondered why its recently become neccessary to endure counceling here in Britain.On almost every film the actors state(as part of the storyline)they have an appointment,and it would seem the americans have counselors as a kind of fashion accessory.The more celebrities a counselor has on their books,the greater an american feels the need to tell the world they receive counceling from Dr such & such.

I was offered counceling after a death in the family,the trauma was horrible but talking to a stranger about it seemed to me to be a waste of our time.The tragedy would eventually fade from my mind,but talking to a stranger would mean this tragedy would remain fresh in my mind far longer.

Besides which,I would think that everyone has a friend/partner/family they can talk to rather than a total stranger.

DrScott 05:00 06 Jun 2008

to suggest that early counselling which is not sought by the person concerned is actually detrimental in the long term and may worsen any psychological outcome related to the original trauma.

Early counselling is probably bad for you.

newman35 05:07 06 Jun 2008

I note that every post thus far appears to think the same - is this some kind of record on this forum?

Or are we ALL in need of some counselling?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?