What would you think of modern education...

Chegs ®™ 06:51 23 Jul 2007

If you were to discover that your children were shown an X Rated horror film in class.It was "From Hell" an 18 certificate,as part of a project on Jack the Ripper.During one scene a prostitute has her heart cut out,which is then placed into a kettle and boiled.In another scene a prostitute has her throat cut and the gaping wound is shown in close-up as the knife cuts through it.There is also nudity and very strong foul language,as well as drug taking.

This film was shown to youngsters in year eight(12yrs) by their history teacher at a local school.I could barely believe my eyes when I saw the article in the paper as my own daughter starts there in september.

A woman from the BBFC was asked to comment and she says "We have given this film an 18 certificate because we dont feel that anyone under the age of 18 should see it.It is not a criminal offence to show an 18 film to school children,but I would question the decision.This film is clearly wholly inappropriate for a group of 12 year-olds.It is always our advice for schools planning to show films for educational purposes to children younger than the certificate that they should get parental consent first."

There are (quite rightly in my opinion) some very irate parents as no consent was sought.

acxxxx 08:32 23 Jul 2007

The Teacher (I hope) was just trying to bring a touch of realism to the History lesson on Jack the Ripper, but has totally gone about it the wrong way (a very poor choice of film - be it a class of 12 year olds or a class of 18 year olds), a good documentary on the subject would have been better.

Did the teacher show this off their own back or did anyone more senior at the school know?

If this film was from a home collection its worrying (I know we can all have any film we like (within reason) at home, but you can’t go around showing them to 12 year olds, especially someone else’s).

wee eddie 08:48 23 Jul 2007

The teacher should be assigned to Playground Duties for such a lapse of judgement.

Input Overload 11:59 23 Jul 2007

A similar situation (18 film shown to 13 year olds) occured in my local school a few years ago & was taken up with the headmaster by two parents which resulted in an Englash teacher being given a written warning.

Quickbeam 12:00 23 Jul 2007

Bring back caning & the authority for teachers to put the fear of God into kids... didn't do my generation any harm... ouch, sorry Sir;)

spuds 13:09 23 Jul 2007

When schools can dish out emergency contraceptives to schoolchildren without informing parents, then showing an over 18 film or video, seems to amount to the same thing.

If this particular event as enough coverage, then I suppose the head-teacher will need to investigate and perhaps provide some explanations, either to the education authority or/and parents/guardians.

Kate B 15:22 23 Jul 2007

I think schools should be able to give teenagers emergency contraception in confidence - that's a good thing, surely, it shows the kids taking responsibility for themselves. I'm kind of gobsmacked, though, at the film being shown - where was this?

Bingalau 15:59 23 Jul 2007

I'd be inclined to remove my children from said school and find somewhere better.

Forum Editor 17:34 23 Jul 2007

giving teenagers emergency contraception - provided the necessary checks and confidentiality provisions are in place, but I think it was a mistake to show children this film.

That's all it was however, a mistake - it isn't an indictment of the entire education system. Let's keep a sense of proportion.

Woolwell 17:59 23 Jul 2007

Chegs ®™
Could you post a link to the paper that contained the article.

My understanding is that most involved in education would regard this as a possible cause for suspension. There is a possibility that some of the children could suffer nightmares as a result.

Chegs ®™ 21:33 23 Jul 2007

click here

Heres the local papers website,you can see the story on its home page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone