What would you do in this situation?

Forum Editor 18:52 22 Jun 2007

Over the past week I've been doing some work for an American client who works as a medical ethics consultant. Our conversations necessarily touched on how she works, and she gave me a brief but fascinating insight into the world of ethical dilemmas. I thought it might be interesting to discuss a couple of classics here.

A runaway coal truck is rolling down a rail track. In its path are five people who will be killed unless you, a bystander, flip a switch which will divert it on to another track, where it will kill one person. Should you flip the switch, and if so, why?

FungusBoggieman 18:58 22 Jun 2007

FE
If im in america and flip the switch will I not also get the death sentance for murder?

Then two will die not one.

they say the needs of the many out weight the needs of the few.

Quickbeam 18:58 22 Jun 2007

Could I flip the switch as it's going over the points & spill the contents safely...?

Kate B 19:03 22 Jun 2007

One death is better than five, I guess. Is there a right answer?

anskyber 19:10 22 Jun 2007

I suspect the "answer" is not to flip the switch.

Rather as FungusBoggieman has suggested the action would mean I would be responsible for the death of one person. I may "get off" but litigious as we are now, will I? Will I almost certainly face a civil action from the family of the dead person?

If I do nothing and claim I did not realise I could have saved anyone, I am free....other than my conscience.

Yes, I would flip the switch and take the chance on my position, it would save four lives.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 22 Jun 2007

1. Flip the switch kill one
and live with the knowledge your saved 4 lives rather than you killed 1 person.

2. Do nothing
Its not your fault that the wagon ran away, YOU haven't killed anyone.

Humans blame for an act rather than an inaction.

I tend to act and worry about the consquences afterwards. So would probably flip the switch.

TopCat® 19:15 22 Jun 2007

I'd certainly switch the wagon and keep yelling a warning to the single person in the way, if it was feasible. TC.

wee eddie 19:18 22 Jun 2007

against flipping the switch.

Given the information available, I'd flip the switch, but then I'm a Control Freak.

Bingalau 19:25 22 Jun 2007

Flip the switch and blow the consequences. I would quite happily kill one person, if I thought it was going to save the lives of a group of people. Why? Well it's not a choice of between the devil and the deep blue sea. Is it? It seems the correct thing to do.
But I have an idea there is more to this question than meets the eye.

Stuartli 19:34 22 Jun 2007

Flip the switch and shout a warning to the lone individual.

Forum Editor 19:41 22 Jun 2007

Maybe, but consider this. The lone person is on a branch line, safe from harm, unless you act to cause his/her death by flipping that switch - you have to make a conscious decision to kill someone.

If you weren't there the truck would kill the five people anyway. But you are there, and you must decide - do nothing and the inevitable will happen. They don't know you're there. Flip the switch and one person will die, but you will have intervened to cause it - and you'll know that.

Yet it's true isn't it, one death is better than five?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?