What would you cutback on?

Cymro. 11:12 20 Sep 2009

So it seems we are in for some stringent government spending cuts whoever wins the next general election, yes I know that the result is a forgone conclusion for most of us, but that is not what this thread is about. What I want to know is if you were responsible where would you cut government spending?

There is plenty for you to choose from
education, health, law and order, defence, social security, roads and transport, overseas aid, and I dare say a few more that I have not mentioned. The choice is yours, well no actually it is not yours, but just suppose it was.

Cymro. 11:15 20 Sep 2009

We are looking for massive savings not even a few million here and there but savings in the billion are called for

DrScott 11:36 20 Sep 2009

The first thing to cut back on is increases in spending, rather than cutting per se.

The NHS has generally had an increase in funding year on year. Rather than cutting the funding, I'd reduce the increases to a more sustainable amount.

DrScott 11:37 20 Sep 2009

and I'd also abandon the NHS IT scheme which is an absolute disaster - a very expensive one at that (around about £16 billion).

Cymro. 11:40 20 Sep 2009

So you would take money away from the ill and the dying first then.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:59 20 Sep 2009

In times of tight financial straits waht do you cut out of your own budget?

Answer = all none essentials - holidays, entertainment and fashion goods
but you need to spend on the essentials like food, housing, clothing, fuel, medicine and whatever you need to find work, there isn't anything left for the sentimental things life is hard.

The government needs to do the same for the country, time to stop spending on the Arts, Heritage and those expensive Government buildings.

Cymro. 12:03 20 Sep 2009

Yes good point but not all that much in actual hard cash though. Like I said we need to save billions here.

Cymro. 12:15 20 Sep 2009

as I am off for my usual Sunday lunch and a pint or three to the local (no cutbacks for me)

If you don`t have the stomach for government spending cutbacks you could always go for the alternative, an increase in taxation!

bremner 12:33 20 Sep 2009

Cancel the Trident replacement $20 billion minimum.

I am no CND supporter but in this day and age is an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile system really something we need and can afford?

bremner 12:33 20 Sep 2009

$ should be £

OTT_Buzzard 13:03 20 Sep 2009

I think the first step is to accept that all the money is never really going to be paid back - just enough so that once inflation has increased enough, the interest repayments become affordable.

I can see that a 20% VAT rate is inevitable sometime in the next year or two, to pay for the disaster that was the VAT cut to 15%.

Other than that, the cancellation of a high profile project or two in each of the main budget areas (e.g. an aircraft carrier and can a few Eurofighters from the defence budget, cut a new hospital or two from the NHS etc) along with more politically friendly cuts (e.g. less whitehall bloat), should buy enough time for inflation to take hold.

Also be ready for stealth taxes a plenty and for increases in taxes for the usual suspects (fuel, alcohol, tobacco). Anything perceived non green will take a hammering. Expect another £20 to be added to the cost of an airflight despite their beng no alternative.

The question now is not what to cut back on, but when to do it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?