What is web 2.0?

wolfie3000 07:47 22 Sep 2007

Simple question, but i guess it has many answers,
I dont know even if i have seen it.

Can anyone give a definitive answer to this?

Is it just hype, a marketing ploy, or just elitist hogwash?

Or have i just misunderstood it?

octal 08:23 22 Sep 2007

I take it you are referring to this article? click here if you are then I've read the article and it's pretty meaningless to me as well, it's not a new thing according to the publication date 09/30/2005, so where is the revolution brothers?

Simsy 08:51 22 Sep 2007

to refer to the way the internet is USED, rather than a technical spec of what it actually is...

The advent of a much wider takeup of home computing worldwide, and the availibility of faster speeds for a great number of people means that more people can use the internet to do more things...

Look at what is done now;

Secure shopping
Audio Streaming
Audio Download
Video Streaming
Video Download
Online applications
Online gaming

Most, if not all, of this was not possible 10 years ago because the infrastructure wasn't there in terms of users/suppliers/demand/software. As "kit" has improved so has demand, and so has pioneering of what can be done.

My understanding of "Web 2" is that it's this new type of USAGE that is "version 2", and so the webcontent suppliers are supplying what we want to use.

(Of course, as usual, I may be talking rubbish!)

Regards,

Simsy

wolfie3000 20:51 22 Sep 2007

Thanks for your help but im still no clearer as to what it is.

spikeychris 21:01 22 Sep 2007

click here should help

Batch 08:49 24 Sep 2007

Might be easiest thinking of it in terms of a child growing up. For example:

0. The baby is born

1. The child goes through infancy

2. The infant progresses through to adolesence

3. The adolescent comes of age.

4. The young adult matures

5. The mature adult mellows into old age.

6. The elderly person degenerates and eventually dies.

Looked at in that context, the web could be viewed as around level 2 / going on level 3. But, like humans, there are no hard and fast rules as to when anything happens and some humans (= some elements of the web) progress faster than others.

wee eddie 10:30 24 Sep 2007

We're in the 4th Age.

Man buys a Ka > Having read boasts that it goes at 120mph > Drives home only to discover that a Ka only makes 60mph with the wind behind it.

for Ka, please read ADSL2. and for mph, please read MBs.

Batch 11:24 24 Sep 2007

Yeah, it's all open to perspective / interpretation. What I was trying to get across is that it is a progression without clear delineation between one stage and the next. So different elements would be (viewed as, depending upon one's perspective) at different stages.

In a nutshell, there isn't and never will be a clear universal deinfition of what Web 2.0 is. In fact, a lot of it is just marketing hype.

Batch 11:27 24 Sep 2007

Also, the reason I pitched at level 2 / 3 was so that level 2 could be sort of equated to Web 2.0.

I can't see that in any way we are anyhwere near level 4 (in my list). The Internet has a long long way to go and I think that in years to come we will look back on what we have now and think how crude it was.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017