What a warplane!

rawprawn 17:30 16 Jul 2010

But can we afford it?
click here

ams4127 19:50 16 Jul 2010

Throughout my career I have worked on most RAF aircraft from the Spitfire, through the Lightning, Jaguar, Tornado and Typhoon and many others beside them. They were all brilliant in their day.

How I would love to work on this new one but, unfortunately, tempus fugit, so I never will.

sunnystaines 20:05 16 Jul 2010

what was your fav one

onthelimit 20:20 16 Jul 2010

Well, that's reassuring in these difficult times. And what's it to be used for? All our involvements at the moment seem to be in conflicts where air-to-ground is the need. So, Harrier etc, Ok but......?

morddwyd 20:23 16 Jul 2010

I'd loved to have had a crack at TSR2.

I don't think the rest of the world (including the US) started to approach that level of technology until well into the 70s.

Never did the Spitfire (but I was a station that flew them!), but covered most of the ones you mention, and I did work on the Nimrod AEW3.

I must admit that a real aeroplane to me is one where you go in through one door and out of another, and if you want to carry more than a dozen or so people you have to take some bombs off!

wiz-king 20:46 16 Jul 2010

I was to be a electronics technician on the TSR2, found digs and within two weeks the project was cancelled and with it my job! So had to move home again and find another job.

ams4127 22:42 16 Jul 2010

My favourite was the Lightning. Working inside the reheat/jetpipe bays was a nightmare. Come out cursing, pouring with sweat and cut to ribbons from locking wire.

But.....

Then you strapped the pilot in, saw him off and watched the aircraft stand on a tail of fire and hurtle vertically upwards in a wall of ground shaking noise. And you thought "I made that happen" and all your pain just vanished! Most satisfying job ever and I did it for ten glorious years before going on Jags.

morddwyd, wiz-king

Never did get on the TSR2 though I agree with everything you say about it.

Incidentally, I only worked on the Spitfire for a month. In 1964, when I joined my first Station (Coltishall) the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight were based there and every newcomer had to work on it for their first month. I do remember not being overly impressed at arriving, all excited at the thought of working on the great fire breathing monsters, and finding myself topping up the oil on a merlin!!

Not too keen on the most modern aircraft. Too many computers for me. "Digital" this and "Fly by Wire" that. And when the pilot shuts down shortly after starting up, 90% of the time it's the "Digital" this or "Fly by Wire" that which isn't working.

Expense is another thing. I remember that during testing of the F18 against F5 in dog fights, the F18 always won. Put it against two F5s and one of the F5s would win. Then someone pointed out that they could build four F5s for the price of one F18. Overly simplistic I know, but I'm sure you can see my point.

My apologies to all for this ramble...

Forum Editor 23:05 16 Jul 2010

this aircraft would seem to be an obvious choice. It's advanced use of technology gives its pilot a massive tactical advantage in air combat, and it would appear to be a better bet than the Eurofighter Typhoon in that respect.

It would certainly be a perfect choice for the new Royal Navy carriers.

ronalddonald 23:21 16 Jul 2010

why don't we use what the yanks use a blackbird spy plane

Kevscar1 06:06 17 Jul 2010

because it has no combat ability

sunnystaines 08:22 17 Jul 2010

I think the electric lightning is an excellent plane remember seeing them at airshows when i was younger alway my fav one too.

if i ever go to RSA there is a place near capetown that takes you for a joy ride in one, i would love to go up in one

here is the link
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?