What is a Segway scooter?

smartpoly 17:29 18 Jan 2011

Man fined for using one on a pavement as a judge rules that it is a motor vehicle although you cannot apparently drive them on roads as they do not meet the requirements of a motor vehicle.

click here

So where can you use one? And what makes them so different from mobility scooters? Does anyone on the forum own one, if so where do you use it?

MAT ALAN 17:37 18 Jan 2011

click here

RESTRICTIONS OF USE

United Kingdom: in UK the Segway is classified as a powered vehicle and subject to Road Traffic law, with the effect that it is unlawful to use a Segway anywhere other than on private property with the owner's permission.[30] While in opposition, the political parties forming the current coalition government, the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats, lobbied the then Government to change the law to allow Segways to use public cycle lanes...

finerty 18:19 18 Jan 2011

I remember a guy in Wembley use to use one of these in the 1990's to go the shops he would ride on the pavement and on the road. Nobody had a problem with it. I think the law needs to change so that it can be used where pedestrians use footpaths, there bike and pedestrians shared footpaths so why not use a segway.

Woolwell 18:31 18 Jan 2011

There are Segway tours around the world and some in England click here. Sadly the owner of the company in Segway accident last year click here.

sunnystaines 18:49 18 Jan 2011

only ever seen on on the tv, do people really buy them.

Belatucadrus 20:42 18 Jan 2011

There was me thinking the entire project was a cunning plan by the FSB to assassinate Dubbya click here

Covergirl 10:03 19 Jan 2011

. . . but the local police were using them to get around town. It could have been Spain come to think of it . . . . !

WhiteTruckMan 10:28 19 Jan 2011

on one of these grimebusting programmes (I have forgotten which one, but it was on a cable channel) a council employee somewhere in london monitoring rubbish in the streets, and finding a pile of discarded cardboard waste on the pavement outside a fasion clothing shop. He went in to speak to them, then went on his merry way on his segway. Possibly the programme was filmed prior to the ban but I remember thinking that that was illegal now.

WTM

Quickbeam 12:32 19 Jan 2011

I want a tank chair when I'm ready for a mobility vehicle!

click here

gengiscant 13:19 19 Jan 2011

I with you on this one'Quickbeam' but I see no reason to wait till I need one,I want one now.LOL

Bapou 19:29 19 Jan 2011

I've read of woodland tours on these machines before. At least this keeps them off the streets and roadways, there's enough bother with cyclists.

You can book a Segway guided tour holiday in most parts of the world it seems: click here

Or, closer to home, head to the Lake District for a guided tour: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?