What to see in Jersey

anchor 11:17 11 Oct 2007

A friend and his partner are planning a long weekend visit to Jersey in about 2 weeks time.

He knows about the war tunnels and underground hospital, but wondered what else there is to see and visit.

I don`t know the Island, but feel sure that someone on this forum does, and can make suggestions.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dizzy Bob 11:48 11 Oct 2007

I have just come back from a short break in Jersey.

The zoo is excellent, quite small but plenty to see, make sure you see the gorillas!

St Brelade's bay is lovely, with some great places to eat on the seafront.

The cliff walks around Bonne Nuit bay on the north coast of the island are wonderful, tranquil and peaceful.

Shopping in St Helier can be cheap due to no VAT on most purchases.

Oh, and if they are taking a car over, be sure to fill up as petrol was 77p / litre 2 weeks ago!

Hope they have a great trip.

DB

interzone55 12:50 11 Oct 2007

Yes, definitely go to the zoo, it's really one of the best I've been to.

DrScott 12:56 11 Oct 2007

The German Pill boxes and coastal defences. When in Guernsey I found them fascinating...

HCOOH 12:58 11 Oct 2007

Not been for quite a while but the Jersey Pottery is worth a visit, used to do a nice range of Lunches as I recall.

Stuartli 13:31 11 Oct 2007

Jersey is a wonderful place to visit and some of the main attractions have already been mentioned; there's also the famous glass church in St Lawrence featuring the glass artistry of Rene Lalique. See:

click here

Hiring a car to look around the coastline is well worthwhile.

However, the island is so small (about nine miles by five, about the size of the town where I live) that we decided that our week's holiday there was more than sufficient; we had a similar view about Malta.

The Brigadier 15:18 11 Oct 2007

To be honest i would stick clear of Jersey.
The crime & murder rate is really very high.
That Detective Sgt Bergerac of the Bureau des Etrangers seems to have to do a lot of crime fighting on such a small island!

crosstrainer 15:31 11 Oct 2007

:)

Bingalau 16:06 11 Oct 2007

The best place for a booze up in Malta is a place known as "Jessie Bar" (The beer is cheaper there). Tell them a Royal Marine sent you. Whatever you do though don't use the toilets, because the last time I went there I realised the toilets hadn't improved since I was stationed there in 1948. Maybe it's improved since they were allowed to join the European community. Maybe there are laws about toilets now. But I swear the same flies were still inhabiting the place. The family are very friendly and the bar is situated opposite St. Andrews Barracks. Where's Jersey???

Stuartli 17:06 11 Oct 2007

>>Where's Jersey???>>

If that's a serious question, it's part of the Channel Islands.

Stuartli 17:07 11 Oct 2007

Yes, we went to Gozo on the ferry - delightful place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?