Is this what our youth has descended to..

NewestRoyWidd1 01:19 08 Sep 2008

click here
What on earth is happening?Are we now reaping the"rewards"for lack of discipline in some homes and schools?And soft sentencing by the Courts?
The whole thing apparently happened because one set lived in the"wrong"postcode.
And just where did they obtain the baseball bats?

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:31 08 Sep 2008

It is not just 'our youth'. Gang fights over 'territory' have been going on for years and I can remember some pretty nasty fights in Glasgow and Manchester in the 70's. Older people tend to wear rose-tinted specs and dream of thatched cottages with endless summers when they refer to the youth of today.

G

dagbladet 07:41 08 Sep 2008

Couldn't agree more Gandalf, oh and the baseball bats probably came from a sports shop.

oldbeefer2 10:51 08 Sep 2008

Think of the chaos caused by the mods and rockers in seaside towns during the '60s. Nothing new.

Cymro. 12:37 08 Sep 2008

Whatever our youth are they are what we have made them. It was us who bought them up, taught them how to behave and what values to have etc.

What about the vast majority of the young? the once who go through university with much less government grants than many of us were able to get. The once who are out fighting in such places as Afghanistan and Iraq, or the once who go abroad to work for others with organisations like V.S.O. then there are the once who work as nurses or become doctors, there are many who work long and hard in very poor jobs for a minimum wage that is less than their elders would be willing to work for.

Don`t paint them all with the same brush by making statement like "Is this what our youth has descended to" some of them yes, but most of them are as good a bunch of youngsters as any generation in the past.

oldbeefer2 13:07 08 Sep 2008

Spot on, and I'm lucky to have three like that!

Cymro. 14:15 08 Sep 2008

It is so nice to be able to say that we are very proud of them. Mind you there must be some poor parents who can only say "where did we go wrong".I suspect that whatever we do as parents there must be an element of luck in bringing up children.

spuds 14:32 08 Sep 2008

"We know the family well" seems to be the authorities response and statement to bad parenting.

oldbeefer2 15:05 08 Sep 2008

Yes, hence my 'I'm lucky'. I know of families where one of the kids has gone off the rails for no apparent reason. Reminds me of the Beatles song 'she's leaving home' ("what did we do that was wrong").

NewestRoyWidd1 18:22 08 Sep 2008

All points taken,but I certainly don't wear rose-tinted specs regarding some elements of todays youth.
I know it's just a minority that are bad,but the ones I see when working in our city centre at nights don't exactly endear themselves to anyone!
And having worked on Courts security a few years ago,the seemingly flippant attitude of some really young ones to being there had to be seen to be believed.It was usually a case of a thumbs-up to their social worker and "see you next time".

Forum Editor 19:11 08 Sep 2008

Well, a tiny minority of young people are doing things that get published in newspapers - it has always been thus, and I doubt that it's any worse now than at any time in history. It's just that nowadays we all know about it because it's in the media.

Nobody is going to write a headline that says:

"20 million teenagers have peaceful weekend"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?