What next for Ukraine?

Flak999 23:27 23 Feb 2014

Yanukovych has gone, the same way most dictators go, either like this or like this What now for Ukraine? this?

If Putin decides to send the tanks in, where do we in the west stand?

Osborne has apparently promised Ukraine that the UK has it's cheque book ready! (what about the deficit?)

Troubled times ahead methinks!

sunnystaines 09:11 24 Feb 2014

the west should keep out of it let them sort it out themselves, cant see russia marching in.

wiz-king 09:55 24 Feb 2014

Yanukovych was the elected president and they have a working parliment so he was not a dictator as such.

morddwyd 10:03 24 Feb 2014

I agree with wizling.

On what has been reported, this seems more like a coup than a revolution.

The president was the problem, and he has been removed.

Pine Man 10:52 24 Feb 2014

The president was the problem, and he has been removed.

...but like other countries the anarchists will soon get fed up with a new one and start all over again - a bit like Egypt;-)

rickf 11:08 24 Feb 2014

I fear a division between east and west of the country. Trouble ahead I think.

Woolwell 11:53 24 Feb 2014

Crimea could be a major problem yahoo news

Forum Editor 13:43 24 Feb 2014

"Yanukovych has gone, the same way most dictators go"

The point has already been made that he wasn't a dictator in the real meaning of the word, although at times it might have seemed like it to many Ukrainians.

I suspect there will be a time of indecisiveness. not helped by the fact that the Russian Prime Minister has called the forcible ousting of Yanukovych an illegal act. In the longer term, Ukraine will almost certainly end up with another government which will be as corrupt as the one that is being replaced.

Flak999 14:17 24 Feb 2014

I think the real danger lies in Russia's loss of face over this. If Putin does nothing it will be perceived that he is weak and Russia has lost out to the west.

If he sends in the tanks there will be hell to pay, it could cause a civil war between the European leaning west of the country and the Russian supporting East. There will also be much greater tension between Russia and America.

What will he do, and how will the west respond?

bremner 15:44 24 Feb 2014

If Russia decides to send in troops then militarily the West will do abolutely nothing.

Will Russia do so is dependent on how the Russian facing east is treated by the rest of the country.

john bunyan 16:03 24 Feb 2014

There was ,I thought, a couple of encouraging things :The Ukraine Parliament acted quite well, as did the army. The crowd, by and large, did not loot. There are a couple of big problems: They need a huge bail out - the Russians may withhold their offer, and I doubt that the EU could afford or risk it. Secondly there are many ethnic Russians there and they are unhappy with a shift towards the EU. I suspect Putin will use economic rather than military pressure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?