What happened to the flight ban on liquids????

Seth Haniel 10:27 28 Aug 2008

click here

A Ryanair plane was forced to land in Germany after a passenger had an allergic reaction to mushroom soup.

The soup leaked onto the man from a jar in an overhead locker on a flight from Budapest to Dublin on Monday, the airline said.

His neck reportedly swelled up and he struggled to breathe, forcing the plane to divert for emergency medical help.

crosstrainer 10:32 28 Aug 2008

Must have been a passenger who stowed it in the overhead locker, the galley is at the rear of the plane.

Seth Haniel 10:35 28 Aug 2008

but how did said passenger get it past the check-in - as the ban on liquids is still - to my knowledge - in force

crosstrainer 10:39 28 Aug 2008

...And you trust the security systems in place? It would not be hard to secret a small container of soup in hand baggage, perhaps realising later that you had taken a banned substance aboard and then left it in the overhead locker.

spuds 11:11 28 Aug 2008

Ryanair seem to having some bad press lately, and in this case it appears to be airport security that might have missed something. But having said that, it was reported in yesterdays media, that one airport was using baggage handlers for security procedures due to industrial problems.

jakimo 12:38 28 Aug 2008

Could they have been Magic Mushrooms

rossgolf 12:56 28 Aug 2008

when i flew a couple of weeks ago, i could have bottles of water coming back from turkey but goin to turkey i was only allowed 100ml

Cymro. 13:23 28 Aug 2008

As with most such things even the best security guard becomes less vigilant with time. Just imagine the mind numbing routine of such work. I would think that the longer they are at the job the more stuff goes through undetected. Lets just hope that they don`t miss anything more sinister than a tin of soup.

Picklefactory 13:24 28 Aug 2008

Same here also 2 weeks ago, there were no liquid checks at all coming from Izmir, although we had to go through 2 security checks, X rays and all.

babybell 08:57 29 Aug 2008

You cannot take liquids on that you bring into the airport but once through check in, you can buy liquids in Duty Free and take them on. The guy might have purchased the soup from a shop in duty free.

Picklefactory 14:32 29 Aug 2008

Again, depends on where you've come from. I saw plenty of people taking water through security in Turkey, no such checks were in place, at any point. Izmir airport has 1st security check at airport main entrance, we had water there and carried it through no problem. Only other check is at the each individual gate, but again it was just X ray with no check on liquids or any major security present at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

How artist Alex Yanes worked with his daughter on this bright 3D mural for Monument Valley 2

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le lancement du Galaxy Note 8 en direct ?