What happened

stalion 22:44 03 Dec 2004

To the governments pledge for every home to have a pc?

Forum Editor 22:49 03 Dec 2004

I'm not sure that was a pledge stalion, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

stalion 22:55 03 Dec 2004
  Dan the Confused 23:09 03 Dec 2004

I remember Blair mumbling something about everyone having broadband access recently, but I've learnt to take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

stalion 23:13 03 Dec 2004

you must be useing a lot of salt lol

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:14 03 Dec 2004

I cannot see where the Government have pledged for every home to have a PC....may i quote from the DTI site, 'Home Computing Initiatives (HCI schemes), enabled by the Government's tax exemption on loaned computers, can help every UK organisation achieve these goals.'

The HCI has been well advertised and AFAIK is still available click here naturally, like anything it involves some end-user participation and getting off backsides. On the other hand, a part-time bar job 1 night a week, will pay for a computer in 5 months.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:18 03 Dec 2004

'broadband is now available to 80 per cent of UK households, and that is almost certain to rise to 90 per cent next year'....sheesh, give BT et al a chance; it may come as a shock to some but the phone system in nthe UK is out-of-date and it takes a bit of time to upgrade, this is not Forrest Gump..../eyes raise.

G

kev.Ifty 23:23 03 Dec 2004

oooow Let's talk Politics!!!

stalion 23:26 03 Dec 2004

no,lets talk about the Governments Employer scheme for Employees to buy a computer and pay it back over three years and the lack of publicity it gets.

Dan the Confused 23:50 03 Dec 2004

The point is it has nothing to do with him. I'm referring to his Labour party conference speech click here

The UK will have 100% coverage by the end of next year - 3 years before his 'pledge'.

It reminds me a bit of Al Gore saying he invented the Internet :Z

Dan the Confused 00:02 04 Dec 2004

Sorry, rubbish link. Anyway, he said the UK would be covered by 2008.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?