What is going on here, another scam?

bumpkin 20:59 25 Feb 2014

My daughter called Vodafone to get a better phone and a better contract than her existing one with them.

She was offered a better phone but a more expensive contract which she declined.

The next day she was called by "Vodafone?" and offered a much better deal which she accepted, no card details were requested as presumably Vodafone already had this information.

After a few days she called Vodafone again to ask when the new phone would be arriving. Vodafone denied any knowledge of the call or that they had sent a new phone.

They said that the call must have come from someone else and that if she did receive a phone refuse to accept delivery and keep them (Vodafone)informed.

Then they "Vodafone genuine" offered her a much better phone and contract which she has accepted.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on.

wee eddie 21:19 25 Feb 2014

Just a guess: All the Phone Companies employ Agents to handle renewals & Upgrades. Maybe Vodafone employ more than one set of Agents.

One set made one Offer, the other Set made a different Offer!

wee eddie 21:19 25 Feb 2014

Just a guess: All the Phone Companies employ Agents to handle renewals & Upgrades. Maybe Vodafone employ more than one set of Agents.

One set made one Offer, the other Set made a different Offer!

bumpkin 21:28 25 Feb 2014

wee eddie, thanks for that, could be the case.I hope so.

Forum Editor 03:29 26 Feb 2014

"could be the case.I hope so."

It is almost certainly the case.

morddwyd 10:20 26 Feb 2014

I wasn't aware of this.

Thanks for the thread, and the explanation.

spuds 15:19 26 Feb 2014

Not sure if you recall the problems a couple or more years back, when people were having problems with 'cash-back' 'free mobile phones' and other offers that didn't transpire, after having signed up to these deals.

People thought that the deals were actually from the main names like Vodafone, Orange etc, and not franchisee's or selling agents working on their own. The people involved only found out, when they contacted the major provider's or from media reports when these problems became known.

You might find any stories about this from the internet?.

bumpkin 16:23 26 Feb 2014

Thanks all, I will post the outcome when it gets sorted.

rickf 16:30 26 Feb 2014

Mobile phone companies use all sorts of trickery to get as much money out of you as possible. Always try to negotiate with them before agreeing to a deal. They tend to give you extras free then.

bumpkin 14:28 27 Feb 2014

Hi again, the outcome. New phone arrived today from Vodafone, I don't know much about phones but she seemed happy with the deal.

Free Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. £20pm unlimited calls and texts, 1gb pm internet, 2yr contract. Is that a reasonable deal.

martd7 17:14 27 Feb 2014

Its a good deal,decent phone,no worrys about paying for calls and minutes and if your willing to keep the phone for 2 years.

I use 02 pay a little bit more monthly for an 18month contract but can upgrade on 15months

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?