What goes around comes around....

Forum Editor 19:20 23 Nov 2014
Answered

As part of the Counter-terrorism and security bill the government is planning to force companies to provide police with information identifying who was using a specific computer or mobile phone at a given time.

This is a good thing, surely?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 23 Nov 2014

Any terrorist planning an attack using a company PC or phone is obviously a pretty poor terrorist.

bumpkin 19:39 23 Nov 2014

Why would they not wish to give this information voluntarily. If they have to be forced to there must be a reason so yes it is a good idea.

wee eddie 19:47 23 Nov 2014

Wouldn't Thomas Cromwell & Francis Walsingham have laughed at all this pussy footing around.

Sadly, I think that these, and the ISP's, will have to keep records.

While the current focus is on ISIS, I think that it would be a mistake to overlook Putin. I am sure that he would like to see a resurgence of Russian power.

Aitchbee 21:51 23 Nov 2014

Somebody will have to pay for this so-called counter-terrorism initiative ... and that person will be us - Joe Soap The Public who will see phone and internet bills rise rocket in future years :o[

TopCat® 22:13 23 Nov 2014

Should have been implemented long ago in my opinion. TC.

bumpkin 22:31 23 Nov 2014

Why should bills rise, they already have the information available just that some are reluctant to reveal it which poses the question why.

morddwyd 08:37 24 Nov 2014

If it is, as we are assured, an anti-terrorism thing, tt is a good thing if it also applies to Royal Mail keeping records of where they deliver mail, and to whom, car hire companies as to who hired, how long and mileage covered, bus companies cctv footage, train companies, airlines etc. the list could be quite long.

I have no objection as long as the safeguards we have come to regard as normal are in place, a warrant signed by a magistrate or a court order from a High Court judge.

This is another attempt by government to achieve the long held dream of internet monitoring.

BillSers 09:34 24 Nov 2014

The only problem with this is, as we see on many films, that they could use a pay as you go sim to plan their missions then chuck them away. Raids on terrorists cells by SIS have found discarded sims and phones blocking the drains.

spuds 12:05 24 Nov 2014

I am not sure if I am missing something here, but what's new about it.

Information gathering as been going on for ages, and will continue to do so, whether by individuals or authority.

The only problem is how this information gathering is used, and how organisation translate the actual wording, and how far they can use the evidence.

A typical case is how some council's used or misused various security acts for possible illegal actions. But that is were the crunch starts, in trying to pursue these issues in getting information from those bodies that should be guarding our interests in a lawful manner. Some actually become a law unto themselves, and that is were the problems start.

BillSers 12:33 24 Nov 2014

Some actually become a law unto themselves, and that is were the problems start.

Very true, as we have seen with the multitude of various security agencies in the US.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?