What goes around...

Quickbeam 13:11 22 Jan 2009

comes around.

Reading the remnants of an old paper under a carpet that I've just lifted for replacement, dated Monday Nov 28 1994. The headlines are...

'Sluggish housing market'.
'Clarke to Budget for entrepreneurs'.
And a story of how the Australians intend to dominate the winter Ashes series.

What's changed?

Joe R 13:35 22 Jan 2009

Just the government, as far as I can see. :)

Condom 13:51 22 Jan 2009

Quickbeam you certainly brought back some memories with your posting. I'm presently in the land of marble tiled floors and please take your shoes off if you want to come in but when I was young I used to remember the delights when my father decided to redecorate.

People didn't redecorate so often in those days and when I was about 8 we lifted the carpet to commence in the morning and to my mother's horror we were still reading the newspapers in the evening. We found one from the day I was born and when I tell you it was the first day of the Nuremberg trials it will tell you how long ago that was.

Sadly the newspapers were beyond saving but it was always an enjoyable experience until the days of fitted carpets arrived.

Chegs ®™ 15:05 22 Jan 2009

I once lived in a terraced house for some time.The bathroom was in the loft space and the partition walls were "interesting" as it seemed the previous owners had started the task by use of proper plaster panels but run out of money and used newspapers to complete the job.I was helping my brother modernise the house and was up in the loft swinging my lump hammer round quite merrily,smashing away the partitions when without warning the hammer went straight through the partition with no resistence.I then spent several hours reading pages from newspapers from 1860's through to the 1970's that I found stuffed into the partitions.

robgf 17:07 22 Jan 2009

Out of curiosity, I just retrieved the sheet of newspaper poking up from under the corner of my lounge carpet (only likely to be seen in single mens houses, lol).

Daily Mirror July 17 1984.

The unions and Mrs Thatcher fighting, with unions ahead and confident of victory.
"NUM president Arthur Scargill is confident of total victory over Coal Board chairman Ian MacGregor now that the coal and fuel blockade is starting to bite"
In for a bit of a suprise there Arthur, lol.

The lorry drivers are threatening to block foreign ports, if the docks strikes stops them getting home.

Ah, the good old days, industrial strife aplenty. Before Mrs Thatcher solved the problem, by removing the industry.

The first British women made pregnant with frozen embryos. Later superseded by alcopops.

Sports headlines:

England
Rubbish
Incompetent
Pathetic

Englands cricketers whipped 3-0 in the test series against the West Indies.

A very young looking Lenny Henry and fairly young Les Dawson on the front page.
The chance to win £30,000 with the Woolwich.

Quickbeam 22:06 22 Jan 2009

"we lifted the carpet to commence in the morning and to my mother's horror we were still reading the newspapers in the evening." lol

Luckily the paper that I seem to remember was put there to soak up water from a leaking radiator valve only had the front and back pages readable!

I seems rediscovered old newspapers are highly prized;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?