What does Linux need to do to get accepted

bemuzed 21:26 07 May 2005

A few weeks ago I tried Linux. Seemd functional but far from user friendly. If only it had a GUIm for doing everything: like download programs and they install easlily,; plug 'n' play peripherals; in fact behaves like Windows. Why can't they do this?

dth 16:42 09 May 2005

Aspman - I think it is perception.

One of my friends has used computers for many years and comes from a unix background. When he got a p/c with windows he just couldn't understand what all this different drives is about C hard drive A floppy etc. It just didn't make any sense to him.

My daughter who is 5 is much happier working with and finding her way round Linux Suse than with Windows XP. My wife who has been using Windows stuff for ages - struggles with Linux as she is used to the way Windows does things.

Forum Editor 20:09 09 May 2005

I work with Linux servers daily as part of my business life, and I could agree more with the comments about Linux servers - no problems with that.
That's not the point however - we're really talking about Linux desktops in this thread (or at least I assume that's what bemuzed meant when first posting. That being the case it's a fact that - despite what some people would have us believe - Linux has not made serious inroads into the desktop O/S market, despite years of availability. The vast majority of computer users (home-users in particular) find Windows on their screens when they buy their first machine, and they stick with it. Linux just isn't accepted by the market as being the equal of Windows XP, and no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise you can't alter the facts.

If the opposite was true we would all be using it by now.......and we're not, by a very long chalk.

waamo 21:43 09 May 2005

I've been trying out pc-bsd click here

Whilst it's still in Beta, it really is very nice. I installed Open Office in 3 clicks and everything is GUI based.

It's been a doddle to use and every bit as easy as my XP system.

bemuzed 21:58 09 May 2005

My question stimulated an interesting discussion. I am in the camp that finds Linux just too hard to use compared to Windows, and right now struggle for a reason to buy beyond curiosity. So why would the vast majority buy Linux when Windows is so easy to use and widely supported?

Reason number 1 could be price. I wonder how much PC manufacturers paid MIcrosoft for the OEM licence. If it were £50 (I have no idea if it is); if they could get a Linux version for say £10 then that would knock £40 off a budget PC of say £500. So same PC would be £460 with Linux and £500 with Windows. Maybe that would turn a few buyers?

Second reason may be if Linux was a faster OS. Gamer and video editors would appreciate the speed. So a game or video editor programme could include a dual boot Linux OS with their programme to speed things along. One way to get Linux installed and maye expand use? But I don't know if Linuz is faster.

LastChip 22:18 09 May 2005

It's interesting the people at pc-bsd have recognised the necessity for a Windows like install mechanism, not only for the operating system, but add on programs as well.

This has to be the way to go for wider adoption. Simplicity of use, is one of the major keys.

Somebody earlier in the tread talked about the Grandfather test. OK, tongue in cheek, but a very realistic approach if you want your version to spread.

I also found it interesting that a five year old, who has not been "pre-conditioned" to Windows, found Linux an easy option. This I believe, is another of the keys. The fact that almost everyone buys a computer with Windows pre-installed, means most people don't get exposure to anything else.

Pooke100 22:38 09 May 2005

Did you use ubuntu? I played about with it yesterday, I found it quite difficult to navigate and it wasn't very pleasing on the eye (i suppose themes can be changed. I liked the way everything just worked, I was wondering if I could get on the net running from a live cd, just clicked firefox and it worked. I was impressed with it all the same. I suppose using windows for years and one day of a linux OS I can't make a just comparison.

Just now I downloaded a livecd of SuSE Linux, I like it much better, found it easier to navigate. Managed to print some stuff, just turned the printer on and it was identified immediately. Only been using it an hour or so.

How would I go about making my current system dual boot?

Regards

P

LastChip 23:09 09 May 2005

and is now the primary distro I use. It is now of course owned by Novell, so will get some heavy duty backup I suspect.

ubuntu I loaded, but as yet, it has a problem with installing my network card (which none of the other distro's I have tried had any problems with), so when I have a little more time, I will play with it and try to get it to work.

In truth, I quite liked the interface, although it seems much more difficult to change anything compared to SuSE or Mandrake.

When I get time, I am going to try pc-bsd (see waamo's contribution). Although it's in beta at the moment, it seems (like Linspire) they have the right concept for a successful distro.

As regards dual boot, can I suggest you start a new thread, as it will rather high-jack bemuzed thread, for which I apologise. You could also if you wish, do a search, as it's been written about quite extensively in the past.

Pooke100 23:13 09 May 2005

OK thanks LastChip, appologies to bemuzed.

Best Regards

P

DieSse 23:28 09 May 2005

"Linux just isn't accepted by the market as being the equal of Windows XP, and no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise you can't alter the facts."

It certainly is a fact about market acceptance - however IMHO the equality of the two in deployment and use is now much more in question, and there's a lot of misconceptions out there - even in the Linux community (which I may say is often it's own worst enemy).

So it's time to try out some of the newer versions and let the world know how good they are. How else will general public perceptions change?

On an earlier recommendation, I've downloaded and tried Xandros - it's very good indeed. In terms of ease of deployment, the equal of Linspire IMHO - It's a bit more "professional looking" on the destop - but Linspire has many, many, more programs available for "one-click" downloads.

I'm now trying to decide which version I'm going to adopt as a permanent solution, before I relegate XP to my "alternative system" on a caddy drive.

Charence 00:23 10 May 2005

I think once there's a version of Linux which an average computer user can use, it can probably start promoting it to the public (like what Microsoft/MSN is doing on TV) and offer it for download like it currently is or for sale on the high street (PCWorld) at a much lower price than XP (maybe £20).

Hardware manufacturers will have to make devices compatible with Linux as well though before ther eis a version of Linux which would be easy to use. Soon, I'll be forced to use Linux, maybe I'll learn to like it and use it that way.

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017