What do you think of Oba-ma The Hypocrite

Housten 14:23 25 May 2011

I know a lot of people will be annoyed with me for daring to ask such a question, but I can assure you that - in general - I am not anti-American! But I think that he is such a hypocrite that it is a fair question. He says that we ( that is UK and USA ) have an essential relationship, which I think must be classed as total and complete hypocrisy based on his actions over the last 12 months. I have shares in BP which he deliberately called 'British Petroleum' even though he knew - and if he didn't when he started, he certainly did shortly afterwards - that the company was BP and that 2 American companies were, at least in part, as responsible. But did he mention them - of course not as this would involve Americans having to take some blame. Now he realises - or should - that these two companies will have to cough up and that we are the world's biggest suckers and if he doesn't bother saying anything we will forget his rants and raves!

Cymro. 15:35 25 May 2011

As the president of the USA he is just doing what he is paid to do. I only wish some of our leaders past and present would do the some as regards supporting the interests of the UK. As for hypocrisy, well that just comes with the job.

birdface 15:37 25 May 2011

Maybe the man has lost the plot completely yesterday he signed the Visitors book and dated it as 2008.

He could not remember the date and had to ask.

Maybe press the self destruct button then ask did I do that.

Put the shoe on the other foot and that massive Oil spill had happened in the UK by an American Company I am sure we would not have been to pleased either.

wee eddie 16:19 25 May 2011

Housten:~ Find a Politician that you cannot level that criticism at and no one in the World would elect them.

He has done much that is good, some things that are probably not and very little, as yet, that qualifies as stupid.

In the ranking of American Presidents, if he were to bow out now, I reckon that he would be on a par with Kennedy.

Cymro. 16:24 25 May 2011

If he should bow out now then the world would be a poorer place. Has anyone a suggestion for someone to take his place that would do the job better?

oresome 17:30 25 May 2011

BP is a global business with around 40% of its shares held by UK institutions and a similar amount held in the USA with the other 20% of the share ownership spread around the globe.

Add in the liabilities of other companies engaged in the drilling work and I have no doubt the majority of the total share ownership will be USA based.

But the President was playing politics and it suited his purpose to spin the British element.

daz60 19:04 25 May 2011

In answer to buteman,the "boot was on the other foot"..Piper Alpha 1988

link text

No criminal charges were brought.

daz60 19:19 25 May 2011

In answer to buteman,the "boot was on the other foot"..Piper Alpha 1988

link text

No criminal charges were brought. Whether Obama has done a good or bad job only future historians could say,there are some descions made which the public are not party to. Kennedy ,as it turned out, was not the demigod his supporters have portrayed him as over the years. The idealism surrounding his incumbency as the first black American President will eventually fade,if it has not already done so,and his legacy will be viewed in light of his policies and not his ,admittedly strong even charismatic, personality.

zzzz999 19:57 25 May 2011

Before Obama's policies can start working he firstly has to get the US out of the absolute mess (financial and political) that the Republicans left it in

JYPX 20:18 25 May 2011

I don't see how you can assume that BP would have put that huge sum of money on the table without the pressure from Obama so it was certainly justified. More generally, I think he is on the right lines. When future historians are assessing his healthcare reforms they will be reflecting on the utterly shameful attempts by many citizens to try and stop poor people from receiving the same healthcare that they currently enjoy.

natdoor 20:27 25 May 2011

"Maybe the man has lost the plot completely yesterday he signed the Visitors book and dated it as 2008.

He could not remember the date and had to ask."

Well, in that case he was not well advised. When something as implausible as a person "not remembering" the date occurs, it is perhaps appropriate to look for another explanation. Is it not possible that the U.S. president records the year in which he was elected in such circumstances?

As far as BP are concerned, there were lapses in their supervision of the exercise and they generally have a poor safety record. Given the expected scale of the disaster, it is not surprising that he attempted to ensure that as much as possible was done to limit that damage and that those affected should be recompensed. In this respect BP have done well.

By the way, I too am a BP sharehoder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?