What do you think about location tracking?

PC Advisor 11:24 03 May 2011

It's been revealed that iPhones and iPads track users' location and store this data in an easily accessible file. Some people worry that this could be leaked, compromising user privacy, and complain that Apple should have explained this policy to users before implementing the feature.

Where do you stand on this issue? Have your say in our latest poll.

David Price 11:42 03 May 2011

Here's a direct link to the poll:

What do you think about location tracking?

And here's a couple of links that explain some of the issue better than I could:

Your iPhone and your iPad are snooping on you

and

Why you shouldn't care about location tracking

SparkyJack 11:44 03 May 2011

The asnwer is simple If you are out on a covert mission leave the Smart Toy at home and wear a burkah

Matt Egan 11:54 03 May 2011

I'm astounded that people were surprised their location was being tracked. In principle it makes me uncomfortable, in practice I am neither important nor interesting enough to be personally targeted, and I enjoy the benefits.

wee eddie 12:15 03 May 2011

I am very much of Matt's persuasion

wiz-king 12:27 03 May 2011

As I know that any mobile phone can be tracked and I still use one, no, I'm not bothered.

Quickbeam 12:38 03 May 2011

In this day and age where we already have CCTV camera tracking, GPS vehicle tracking, criminal Tag tracking, parcel tracking and washing machine repair man tracking, it's a bit late to start screaming about where our liberties were lost.

We'll just have to live with it whatever we think of it.

spuds 12:49 03 May 2011

That what as already been stated. Your movements and actions are already being monitored on a daily basis, so another added won't make much difference.

Now if the UK government had tracking devices on illegals, then all might not be in vain, and a worthwhile exercise might be a resounding success?.

SparkyJack 14:15 03 May 2011

Is not the chirrup chirrup one picks up on the car audio occasionally and to the embarrassment of TV interviewees who had not switch off their phone a form of tracking at work?

SparkyJack 14:15 03 May 2011

Is not the chirrup chirrup one picks up on the car audio occasionally and to the embarrassment of TV interviewees who had not switch off their phone a form of tracking at work?

interzone55 14:36 03 May 2011

I'm all for it.

Now if there was web-site that tracked iPhones & iPads I could then easily avoid the people that own one...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone