What do trucksrs do when............

jack 09:28 20 Dec 2007

The Tachograph says 'Times up stop driving' and they are stuck on a motorway some place.?

I wondered this yesterday evening on my way home from a friend- the route taking me over the M25 at one place and under the A2 toward J2 in another[ I was doing the 'through the lanes' route] and the whole route was solid going North toward the Dartford Crossing[normal for this time of day ] and there they were line after line of HGV's sitting ,waiting, and no way off.

dagbladet 10:37 20 Dec 2007

Can't help with your query, I expect WTM may be around later to help.

As an aside though, whilst I'm useless at the 'postcard indentification' game that we do on a weekend, I feel sure that from your description your have turned down the lane by the big school that's being rebuilt and are heading down towards Darenth under the A2, by the mini r'about, where all the construction workers are based.

How did I do?

Chegs ®™ 10:41 20 Dec 2007

When your tacho says times up,wherever you are you are allowed to find someplace safe to stop.Then you choices are limited to either sleeping in the bunk inback of the cab(for the lower paid drivers)or travel lodges for the better paid/expense accounted driver.I was the former,and even parking in the motorway services overnight and sleeping in the cab cost me £15 per night.

jack 11:50 20 Dec 2007

Thank you both now I know,
dagbladet
Know that bit very well- Both my daughters were 'educated' there in the days of yer bog standard comprehensive.
My humble abode sits between the the new[ish] Harvester and the new top of the pile Hospital.

So walk to the Harvester for steak chips and trimming too often, then crawl to the hospital for the cure ;-}

Quickbeam 12:05 20 Dec 2007

For the security of high value loads, (tobacco, alcohol, electrical goods, coffee, etc) you are allowed to carry on to a secure parking location. You must keep a record of the reason in case VOSA want to check that you're not inventing a reason to park somewhere else after your legal driving time.

Virtually no HGV driver will get expenses for a Travel Lodge. The sleeper cab is part & parcel of the job.

Prior to the modern sleeper cab you booked into a truckers overnight stop-over & slept in a dormitory full of sweaty, stinky, farty, noisy drivers! The sleeper cab is all mod cons compared to those days... believe me :)

octal 12:09 20 Dec 2007

"Prior to the modern sleeper cab you booked into a truckers overnight stop-over & slept in a dormitory full of sweaty, stinky, farty, noisy drivers! The sleeper cab is all mod cons compared to those days... believe me :)"

That conjures up a picture :D

Bingalau 15:19 20 Dec 2007

Quickbeam/octal... Yes it brings back memories of having the privilege??? Ha! Ha!.. of being able to stay ashore all night whilst serving on board one of her majesty's ships. Invariably places like Bombay (Mumbai now I believe?) come to mind and the cheap overnight accommodation. Funnily enough we didn't give a hoot when we had downed a few scoops of the local brew, wherever it was. But the body odours do tend to remain in your mind afterwards.. They were the good old days of course.

FungusBoggieman 15:24 20 Dec 2007

A digital taco in the lorry would warn you some time before normaly about 15 minute that you are getting close to a your driving hours IE you can drive 4.5 hours then you have to take a 45 minute break or 30 minutes after 6 hours work but only if you havent driven for 4.5 hours. Plus you would have planned your journey as this is good comon sense,

FungusBoggieman 15:27 20 Dec 2007

sorry also only in an emergencey you can drive over your driving hours but bad timeing on your behalf isn`t classed as an emergency.

Bapou 16:32 20 Dec 2007

"Prior to the modern sleeper cab you booked into a truckers overnight stop-over & slept in a dormitory full of sweaty, stinky, farty, noisy drivers! The sleeper cab is all mod cons compared to those days... believe me :)"

I remember an Army barrack room like that!

CatTrading 16:44 20 Dec 2007

Driver hours are a lot more rigid than 15 years ago when i drove HGV's.
If you need a rest break you take it as soon as you can & it is safe to do so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?