What can you do with 10p these days?

Graham* 15:43 26 Feb 2012

Check your tyre tread for one.

Toneman 16:19 26 Feb 2012

Whoever decided on 1.6 mm, why ever not a simpler figure like 2 mm?

chub_tor 19:47 26 Feb 2012

Changing the subject ever so slightly, I actually used Black Circles for the first time a few months back. I was very sceptical and expected an indifferent attitude from the local garage that was recommended for the fitting so I went over to talk to them first before ordering. I told them the exact tyres that I was looking for and they attempted to source them from their own known trade distributors but eventually admitted that they could not beat the Black Circles price. However they were very willing to fit the tyres as they were receiving a fee from Black Circles for doing so and the final result was that I received the tyres that I wanted, they were fitted on the day and at the time I agreed with my local garage and I reckon that I got a good deal. The next time I need tyres I will certainly try that route again.

sunnystaines 20:40 26 Feb 2012

used to be 2/- [two shillings] could get quiet a few things in those days

birdface 20:47 26 Feb 2012

Fish supper if I can remember right or 2 pints of beer.

Aitchbee 21:34 26 Feb 2012

I use 10 x 1p pieces to 'chalk up' the answers I get right when I watch University Challenge on a monday night.

8p is the most I've shifted, recently.

Aitchbee 22:28 26 Feb 2012

"My other piece of advice, Copperfield," said Mr. Micawber, "you know. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. The blossom is blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day goes down upon the dreary scene, and — and in short you are for ever floored. As I am!"

A happy bicentennial, Charlie.

finerty 09:52 27 Feb 2012

could always gt recycled tyres

Quickbeam 10:08 27 Feb 2012

"Whoever decided on 1.6 mm, why ever not a simpler figure like 2 mm?"

It's a throwback to the imperial measurements system. 1.6mm (0.063) is the nearest tenth place millimeter to 1/16th (0.0625) of an inch.

It made sense when it was first introduced.

WhiteTruckMan 10:27 27 Feb 2012

At Blackcircles.com we recommend that you replace your tyres when the tread is less than 3mm as the performance of the tyre will begin to reduce significantly.

Try telling a transport manager that!

WTM

Bingalau 10:32 27 Feb 2012

Same old conversion rate for me. A Mars bar used to cost two pence, this useless ten pence coin, used to equal twenty four old pence and you could buy twelve mars bars for that. How much of a Mars bar can you buy for one of these useless coins now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?