What is a Brit ?

proudfoot 14:51 06 Jul 2012

I am getting sick and tired of TV and Radio news readers and reporters when they refer to a British Citizen as a Brit. A Brit is a MUSIC AWARD issued by the British music industry. It is no wonder as a nation we are getting very lazy with our pronunciation etc when the likes of the BBC who used to be so particular with accuracy in reporting. I am sure a Frenchman would object to be told he is a FROG or a German citizen as a CRAUT.

spuds 15:19 06 Jul 2012

I could be wrong here, but I seem to think that the term Brit became more popular from the 1960's and the 'troubles' of Ireland?.

Then we had the episodes of not being an English person, but a British person!.

Personally for some own reason, I dislike the title.

interzone55 15:25 06 Jul 2012

I am sure a Frenchman would object to be told he is a FROG or a German citizen as a CRAUT.

Not really a fair comparison, Brit is not a derogatory term, whereas Frog & Kraut most definitely are.

wiz-king 15:40 06 Jul 2012

The father of a Limey?

proudfoot 15:42 06 Jul 2012

"Brit is not a derogatory term". I disagree. I am a Yorkshireman first an Englishman second and a UK citizen third depending on the circumstances. No doubt during the Olympic Games UK athletes will be called Brits when most would like to be referred to as an English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Ireland athlete.

Aitchbee 16:41 06 Jul 2012

Tennis Ace Andy Murray is a Brit when he is winning and a Scot when he is losing.[English commentators].

Bingalau 18:30 06 Jul 2012

We used to call Scots "Jocks" Welsh people we used to call "Taffs" and Irish people were either "Micks" or "Paddy's" I never knew a Scot to object to being called a Jock or a Welshman to object to being called Taff. But I did meet a few Irish people who did not like being called either Paddy or Mick. I never knew an Englishman who objected to being called a "Limey" or a "Pom" but I am puzzled as to what the Scots, Irish, and Welsh call an Englishman?

I do not object to being called a Brit and imagine it covers the English, Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh. If they object to being called a Brit then so be it.

bremner 19:10 06 Jul 2012

* "I am puzzled as to what the Scots, Irish, and Welsh call an Englishman?"*

Sir, if they know their place and whats good for them.

Forum Editor 19:22 06 Jul 2012

I would have thought there are dozens of more important things to worry about than being referred to as a Brit.

"I am a Yorkshireman first an Englishman second and a UK citizen third depending on the circumstances."

Actually you are a UK citizen first - the county you come from is irrelevant as far as citizenship is concerned.

Quickbeam 19:29 06 Jul 2012

Wadaya mean used to Bingalau?

Quickbeam 19:32 06 Jul 2012

And as per HB's post, we now have the first Brit in a men's singles final at Wimbledon for 74 years.

When it's all over, will he be the first Brit winner since Fred Perry, or will he be demoted back to a loser Jock!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?