What is allowed in Speakers Corner

The Brigadier 09:53 18 Jan 2007

So does it have to be IT related in Speakers Corner or does anything go as long as it does not infringe the forum rules?

It would be nice to know.

anskyber 10:01 18 Jan 2007

"There's no need to restrict discussions to computing, or computer related topics, but be warned... we don't condone religious intolerance, sexism, racism, bad language, personal abuse, partisan politics or libellous statements. The Forum Editor's decision on such matters is final, and posts which break the rules will be removed without prior warning. "

Is what the guidelines say. In my experience that is exactly what happens.

Weskit 10:18 18 Jan 2007

Pity FE doesn't allow reference to favourite charity sites.

Watchful 10:21 18 Jan 2007

I don't see any reason to pose this question. It's made quite clear in the header above 'Speakers Corner.' How many times do you have to be told?

namtas 10:36 18 Jan 2007

This question has been asked so many times, and confusion still seems to exist.
This forum by its commercial association must always have restrictions on corporate subject matter for obvious reason as expected this will not be laid down as black and white in the rules. This may be denied strenuously by some but it is a fact, if you stop to think for a minute it must be so. One can not encourage corporate advertising or participation of business’s on one hand and then on the other hand is seen to encourage negative comment on your web site. As hard as you try if it is your bread and butter you can not cast aside and ignore, it is not about favouritism or anything else it is called doing business. It must be a dilemma for some and would explain some of the decisions on limits that occasionally are not always clearly understood.

Input Overload 10:56 18 Jan 2007

This is the place for lively and thought-provoking debate with other forum members. There's no need to restrict discussions to computing, or computer related topics, but be warned... we don't condone religious intolerance, sexism, racism, bad language, personal abuse, partisan politics or libellous statements. The Forum Editor's decision on such matters is final, and posts which break the rules will be removed without prior warning.

microcoder 11:15 18 Jan 2007

namtas very good structural thinking with added quality.

I'm sure that computer forums like PCA must find it a difficult situation to be in when many 'aired' debates are found to be heavily attacking some big corporate clients,like MS and IBM etc.

spuds 11:34 18 Jan 2007

Once we had The Lounge, and through the activities of a few,and the way it was going, this was discontinued rather abruptly. Looking at some of the postings in Speakers Corner, usually by the same minority and mainly new members who cannot understand the basic rules (as posted), I can foresee the ending of Speakers Corner soon.

The rules are very simple and easy to follow, but some people just seem to want to use the site for a 'unruly' and 'constant' argumentative chat instead of the purpose originally intended.There are plenty of 'chat' forums on the internet, which allows all sorts of subjects and comments, the PCA forums were originally set-up for computer related topics, help and advice. All very simple, if you think about it!.

microcoder 11:54 18 Jan 2007

Just the other day a newspaper editor stated that when the front page hailed '10,000 New Jobs' the sales actually dipped slightly.

However,when the front page cried out '10,000 Job Loses' the sales figures rose sharply.

Like Big Brother it is all show business and has to entertain more than just the cozy socks folk.

Watchful 18:08 18 Jan 2007

causing the problems it's the 'personal abuse' which is all too often used by some that leads to threads being closed.

Forum Editor 22:05 18 Jan 2007

and code of conduct, and if you read and follow the guidelines at the tops of the main forum pages, and if you adhere to commonly-accepted codes of decency you'll have abslutely no trouble in understanding how to behave, what to post, and what not to post.

The answer to your specific question is made crystal-clear at the top of main forum page. I wouldn't have thought that further clarification was needed, and I'll not offer any.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?