What about the men in Suits

Legolas 12:37 23 Nov 2007

A lot has already been written about why England failed to qualify for the Euros next year, and of course the players and the manager must take a portion of the blame, but I think the fat cats in suits at the top of the English FA must also take the blame, I don't hear much clamouring for their heads to roll, although I believe one National red tops has today turned the spotlight on them and not before time in my opinion

For too long these people have made poor decisions and when things go belly up they have escaped with little or no criticism and been left in position to go on and make more bad decisions. It is time they were brought to account.

cream. 13:19 23 Nov 2007

Brian Barwick should have been at the head of the dole queue on Thursday morning with Steve McClaren right behind him.

If rumors are correct and he ( barwick ) spent all his energy in pursuing Scolari, when Sven went. We would not have ended up with what nobody wanted i.e. McClaren.

He effectively told most of the other decent applicants, including big Sam that he didn't want them. Thats why nearly all are coming out to say they don't want it.

The good bit is that most of the prima donas will not be eligible for the next big tournament, world cup 2010 in which England have been relegated to a second class team.

As to the question about the suits.

Yes, a lot of them should go.

medicine hat 13:37 23 Nov 2007

I remember one of these suits being on Saint & Greavsie to explain why they were setting up the Premier League. One of the reasons was to improve the national squad's ability and chances.

Quickbeam 13:54 23 Nov 2007

of Wednesdays defeat click here

anchor 13:58 23 Nov 2007

England managers league table:

click here

Many would wish themselves in Steve McClaren`s shoes; he leaves with a pay-off of £2.5 million.

Even the players, who at the end of the day were the ones responsible for the failure, will each receive £150,000 pay out.

Not bad for doing badly.

Bingalau 14:31 23 Nov 2007

No wonder McClaren wouldn't resign. I suppose he wouldn't have got paid out.

laurie53 20:37 23 Nov 2007

Steady on, Legolas, I used to wear a suit!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone