Were in the money, were in the money.

gengiscant 14:59 24 Nov 2010

Both my good lady and myself have received notification today of tax rebates, mine a paltry £10, the good lady a respectable £600.
We both searched the enclosed literature for an indication of how we were to receive these monies.

we were instructed to consult the 'what happens next' document, I read both sides yet there was nothing concerning an tax overpayment, there was a large paragraph concerning what we would need to do had we under paid our tax.

Eventually in paragraph 16 in the 'Understanding your P800 Tax Calculation' we discovered that a cheque will be sent within 14 days.

Anyone know why they didn't just send the cheque's right away?

As a side issue I have a birthday soon,I will need to be on my best behavior now some extra funds have come her way. My tenner, think I'll just blow it.

Bingalau 15:43 24 Nov 2010

You should have pre-arranged to go 50/50 with your good lady.

michaelw 15:46 24 Nov 2010

Ah, the female versus the male conundrum.

If the roles were reveresed I'm betting the good lady wife would soon find ways of obtaining the £600 from you.

gengiscant 16:49 24 Nov 2010

This was totally unexpected, for both of us.

'michaelw'
I am sure (I hope)she will through some crumbs my way.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 24 Nov 2010

£600

Male thinks ---- decorate a room - carpet - PC ?

Female thinks--- that's a lot of shoes / new dresses / handbags

:0)

gengiscant 17:25 24 Nov 2010

An excellent thought about the sisters and widow shopping.

Fruit Bat /\0/\
'Male thinks ---- decorate a room - carpet - PC ?'

Decorate,no chance,carpet,don't need, PC, if she knew how much I had already spent this year on upgrades, the last thing I would need to worry about is £600.LOL

Bingalau 17:41 24 Nov 2010

I got a cheque with the letter for my small refund. I just had to remove it from the bottom of the letter and bank it. I wonder why the difference? Maybe it is the large amount.

Blackhat 17:50 24 Nov 2010

I got my £461 rebate cheque the next day after the notification, I also now have a nice new 10-24mm super wide angle zoom lens for my digital SLR. Mrs Blackhat will have to wait for her own rebate.

spuds 18:13 24 Nov 2010

Refund = Government department, so everything is done in duplicate or triplicate?.

Put the refund in a savings account, they might want it back next year (with added interest), because they have made another mistake :O)

peter99co 11:06 25 Nov 2010

I recd a letter recently which said "if you have contacted us recently ignore this letter. If we do not hear from you we will remove you from the mailing list." I wondered what would have happened if the letter got lost int the post and I wanted to retain my mailings.

spuds 11:45 25 Nov 2010

If it got lost in the post, I suppose you wouldn't know anything about it. In which case you wouldn't do anything about it, and they would put you down as another satisfied customer, saving the country money through administration?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?