Welsh Brocks' days are numbered

michaelw 13:35 07 Jun 2010

Thousands of protected badgers will be culled later this year in an attempt to limit the cattle disease bovine tuberculosis (TB) spreading further in Wales.

The decision to go ahead with a £9m pilot cull, expected to take place mainly in Pembrokeshire, was made today by Welsh rural affairs minister Elin Jones nearly two years after the plan was first put forward. click here

Is it really necessary? Many believe it's not the badgers' fault.

bri-an 15:06 07 Jun 2010

Thought a fireworks factory was maybe closing.

What is a Welsh Brock? Local strain of badger?

peter99co 15:44 07 Jun 2010

They make great shaving brushes!

michaelw 16:19 07 Jun 2010

I laughed so much I nearly pulled my own beer :O)

spuds 16:53 07 Jun 2010

The strange thing is that some farmers, who have had herds affected, have stated that this is not the way forward. Inoculation is a remedy highly considered against the final act of culling in complete areas.

The area where the culling is due to take place, is very near to an area that is not under the threat of culling, yet i would imagine that when areas become vacant, new residents will move in. What happens then?.

Like all things of this nature, we have so-called 'expert' that cannot agree among themselves.

morddwyd 20:02 07 Jun 2010

"They make great shaving brushes!"

Only if the hairs used are from a particular part of a badger's anatomy, hence the saying "As bald as a badger's ****".

bri-an 21:33 07 Jun 2010

I still don't know what a Welsh Brock is - let alone why their days are numbered.

cycoze 22:17 07 Jun 2010

Brock is an older name for a Badger.

Welsh Badgers may be culled to prevent the spread of bovine tuberculosis, the link in michaelw's post explains.

Uboat 22:54 07 Jun 2010

peter99co LOOOL loved it! i laughed & laughed! ty

bri-an 08:55 08 Jun 2010

Thanks, I was correct in my guess, then!

michaelw 08:58 08 Jun 2010

...The strange thing is that some farmers, who have had herds affected, have stated that this is not the way forward. Inoculation is a remedy highly considered against the final act of culling in complete areas...

A voice of reason amid the chaos of merth. How refreshing.

I agree that inoculation would be the more sensible option. I thought TB could be cured but presumably that's only in humans. I couldn't understand why inoculation wasn't used in the last foot and mouth outbreak either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017