Well I never.

User-1159794 14:47 16 Dec 2007

There are more barbie dolls in the USA than people.

Clapton is God 14:51 16 Dec 2007

How do you know?

From my experience of the USA, it's difficult to tell the difference between the people and a Barbie doll.

User-1159794 14:59 16 Dec 2007

A valid point.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:01 16 Dec 2007

To prove your point you only have to look at the last three American Presidents.

Forum Editor 15:18 16 Dec 2007

by the depth of the knee-jerk anti-americanism displayed in practically every thread which mentions anything about America.

I must be travelling to a different america, and meeting different americans when I work there, because they seem much like us, to be honest.

BryanR 15:34 16 Dec 2007

recently, with a colleague.

I wouldn't dream of generalising about the French, Germans, Somalians, Indians, or people from any other nation, in the same manner as we seem to generalise about the Americans. In fact I would probably accuse someone who did of being racist. So what's different about the US?

All the Americans I've met have been really decent people - I work with a couple, my brother is married to one and I deal with Americans every day on the phone or by email through my work. Heck, the company I work for is American! So why do I say things which suggest I believe every American is a clone of George Bush? I'm certain that I don't actually believe that - but I still find myself saying stupid things without even thinking!

There's a similar issue with South Africans and Australians - but that's just sporting banter, based on cricket and rugby!

Clapton is God 16:04 16 Dec 2007

My knee didn't move at all whilst typing my post.

I can only assume, therefore, that you do travel to a different USA to the one which I've been travelling to, on business, for many, many years.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:07 16 Dec 2007

I travel to and work with many Americans and find them, in general, alot more affable than the English.

I'm sure that we all stereo type every nationality in some way or other.

For example (with no malice towards any persons intended) and in no particular order

Americans - Crazy, gungho

English - Repressed ,Stiff upper lip

Italians - Loud, passionate and emotional

French - Arrogant gastronomes

Scots - Tight fisted

Irish - Thick headed fighters

As the old joke goes:

“Heaven is where the police are English, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and everything is organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and everything is organized by the Italians.”

It is believed that National stereotyping comes not from real experiences of the people but from historical events, many historians have argued that the spirit of American individualism has its origins in the experiences of the pioneers in the Old West.

;0)

dagbladet 16:10 16 Dec 2007

Have been working very closely with American colleagues both here and over the pond for the last 25 years. They have their duffers, as quite obviously do we.

newman35 16:13 16 Dec 2007

You must distinguish between Americans and their leader! Remember more than half did not actually elect him.
Think how it would be if we were all associated, by other nations, of being like our political leaders - the mind boggles at the very thought.
Certainly my travels to all parts of the USA and Canada have brought the same results as in the UK, some folk are fine and I like them, others are not, so I don't - same the world over.

Pineman100 16:26 16 Dec 2007

Any comments about the Swedes? ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?