Well I know I used to joke about food

carver 11:11 17 Apr 2014
Answered

Well I know I used to joke about what sort of meat there was in takeaways but now it's not a joke lamb curries, this will certainly not help the reputation of those establishments.

1]: [click here

Aitchbee 11:38 17 Apr 2014

That's ba-a-a-d news.

wiz-king 11:46 17 Apr 2014

Why announce that your going to be testing next month - surely you should test first otherwise all the results are going to be woolly white.

spuds 12:20 17 Apr 2014

I believe this was a subject discussed on television the other evening, either in a news report or mini documentary. There was also deep concerns about labelling, and how some people don't have a clue what's in the item they are actually purchasing.

The whole laws on marketing, labelling and additives want changing urgently in my opinion, and perhaps more so on how the label or packaging shows an item, like a chicken or any other similar food product, yet the actual content of that product can be very low (ie 5/12%) with the remainder being something entirely different.

A typical case is fish and chips, a stable British food diet. See a sign stating fish and chips, and the fish can be anything from the fish world. But it was only after Trading standards made sample purchases around the country that they find the widescale abuse of this practice. Vietnamese River Cobbler was being sold as cod or haddock, because the price for River Cobbler was far less. You wanted or expected cod or haddock, but you may have received something far less and didn't realise it?.

spuds 12:23 17 Apr 2014

wiz-king

If you announce things first, it makes the paperwork far less, and the 'jolly' far more enjoyable :O)

fourm member 12:49 17 Apr 2014

'the reputation of those establishments.'

Do they have a reputation? Other than for producing fatty pap that no-one sober would ever consider eating.

carver 13:40 17 Apr 2014

Again I must be in a minority because I do enjoy a takeaway when sober and I would recommend the places I order from to any friend who asks.

This is why I said "this will certainly not help the reputation of those establishments."

Contrary to some peoples beliefs there are some very good takeaways.

Forum Editor 15:55 17 Apr 2014

"Contrary to some peoples beliefs there are some very good takeaways."

I'm sure there are, but if the survey results are correct a third of them may have been using 'other meat' in their lamb curries and kebabs. I imagine it still tasted OK, it just wasn't as described.

rdave13 21:20 17 Apr 2014

Similar with horse burgers then?

Sausages?

The list is endless no doubt.

rdave13 21:34 17 Apr 2014

To be fair to the 'Takeaway' shops, it also depends on the retailers who sell the 'meat' to the shops. So this could also be a warning to them via the publicity.

BT 08:39 18 Apr 2014
Answer

We had Doner Kebabs on Tuesday from our local Kebab/Pizza/Burger shop. Their boast is that they have been in business in the same shop for 25 years. They have a 'Safer Food' award and a Food Hygiene rating of 5, so I have no problem with buying from them. Their Motto is 'Quality is not a Chance, it is a Choice'. The shop is spotless and the preparation area at the back of the shop is open to view.

As do virtually all Kebab shops the large spit of meat for making Kebabs is bought in from an outside supplier, and these are the people who need to be investigated. The shop can only rely on what they are supplied with and can't be expected to know the composition of the product, but should expect to be supplied with the proper product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?