A welcome 'new lease of life for Goonhilly Down'

TopCat® 14:56 11 Jan 2011

I paid a few visits to this now defunct satellite station whilst I was studying for my Amateur Radio certificate. What a bustling place it was then and such a fascinating experience for us students.

I am very pleased to hear that Goonhilly is to be recommissioned, brought up-to-date and given futuristic scientific tasks to perform for a very long time to come.

And here's me thinking it would become a great site for one of Cornwall's upcoming solar energy farm projects. Oh hum! TC. click here

Uboat 18:39 11 Jan 2011

TC i love places like this! a very intresting thread! good news eh

click here

TopCat® 17:00 12 Jan 2011

Yes indeed, it is good news. This time around though I doubt there will be a visitor centre with guided tours. These ended some time ago and were not cheap with not much content of interest either. All the 'good stuff' was out of bounds to the public because of the very high voltages involved around the working dishes.

We 1970's adult college students visited Goonhilly three times as part of our coursework, so we observed and learnt quite a lot about the station's operations. On the last visit we actually got to stand inside "Arthur" and view its massive transceiving components, followed by an indepth tour of its control rooms. TC.

QuizMan 11:04 13 Jan 2011

I have not been to Cornwall for a while now and had not realised that it had closed. I used to really enjoy a visit to it and the conducted tour around the site on their bus.

Uboat 11:17 13 Jan 2011

TC its such a shame the petrol price is so much! i would love to of gone to see this!

Maybe back end of the year.?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017