Weekend Rugby

morddwyd 20:17 28 Nov 2009

I don't normally contribute much to the sports threads, but I must say that while I have seen some pretty mediocre performances from Wales over the last twenty years today's effort was pretty lack-lustre even by their own greatly reduced standards.

They looked like a bottom of the table fourth division side playing out the last match of the season.

I doubt if many of them have ever heard the word "Hwyl" let alone displayed any.

Al94 20:21 28 Nov 2009

I thought Hwyl meant "Goodbye"

tullie 20:26 28 Nov 2009

I think theres something in the forum rules about using a foreign language.

Al94 20:33 28 Nov 2009

You, found it "Its origins lie in a much older sense of the sail of a ship and hence elliptically one’s course — in life rather than on the sea. Most broadly, in Welsh hwyl refers to a person’s mood. By itself it can also mean “goodbye” as a common short form of hwyl fawr, roughly “all the best”, as can pob hwyl"

morddwyd 22:54 28 Nov 2009

Sorry, the thread was meant to be about rugby; I didn't realise people would get caught up in the detail.

"Hwyl" is one of those literally untranslatable words, meaning something like spirit, fire, joie de vivre, even Welshness.

morddwyd 22:59 28 Nov 2009

"I think theres something in the forum rules about using a foreign language"

The word "hwyl" now appears in many English dictionaries.

I also think you'll find that rules which discriminate against any EU language being used in the EU are not allowed.

Condom 15:16 01 Dec 2009

After the Murrayfield win I'll stop watching for a while and treasure the occasion of a win, a win, a win, unbelieveable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?