A wee Joke that is probably nearer the truth

zzzz999 09:33 05 Sep 2010

One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut.

After the cut, he asked about his bill, and the barber replied, 'I can't accept money from you , I'm doing community service this week.' The florist was pleased and left the shop.

When the barber went to open his shop the next morning, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door.

Later, a policeman comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the barber again replied, 'I can't accept money from you , I'm doing community service this week.' The policeman was happy and left the shop.

The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen doughnuts waiting for him at his door.

Then a Member of Parliament came in for a haircut, and when he went to pay his bill, the barber again replied, 'I can't accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.' The MP was very happy and left the shop.

The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there were a dozen MPs lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the citizens of our country and the politicians who run it.

Forum Editor 10:07 05 Sep 2010

that has been doing the rounds of the internet (suitably amended to keep it up to date) for about ten years.

zzzz999 10:20 05 Sep 2010

I like to be cutting edge and topical

Monoux 10:21 05 Sep 2010

Many a true word spoken in jest

Colin 11:12 05 Sep 2010

In the real world you'd find everyone queuing up for a free haircut, not just politicians.

Kevscar1 11:44 05 Sep 2010

In the real woprld the MP would have put in a £200 expenses claim.

zzzz999 11:49 05 Sep 2010

you live in a cynical world :-)

Kevscar - ha ha hadn't thought of that

Colin 12:20 05 Sep 2010

Rick'scafe - I like to think I live in the real world :-)

spuds 13:05 05 Sep 2010

Not free but near enough. In our city area a couple of Asian guys started a £3.50 barbers shop a few years ago. Now they own over 14 outlets, all employing a number of recently trained staff.

The 'original' barbers prices, especially in the moderate to luxury areas constantly increased,as did the barber's holidays, even on 'pensioner special days' the prices seemed very limited. Some of the original barbers are having to now rethink their business plans. Perhaps there is a message there?.

Forum Editor 13:31 05 Sep 2010

Charging £3:50 for a haircut in even a modest commercial premises with average overheads would mean that in order to provide a reasonable living for one person the shop would have to deal with around 55 customers every day.

I obviously don't have all the facts, because on the face of it there isn't a business there at all, and certainly not one that will support 14 outlets, all charging the same price. Something's not right somewhere.

spuds 14:00 05 Sep 2010

I can assure you that the £3.50 (short back and sides, with a bit off the top) is fact. They even trim female hair for a fiver. Staff are both newly trained male and female from the local college. If you want the details of the outlets, I can yellow envelope you. The two brothers who started the business a few years ago, are an qualified accountant and a motor mechanic by trade, who saw a niche in the market. Other Asian people have since jumped on the £3.50 barber shop enterprise, opening similar low priced outlets with 7 day working.

Admittedly, the shops are not high classed and all show with cappuccino, but more than sufficient and adequate to cover passing trade, or regulars like myself.

Perhaps the name of the game is the opening hours based over 7 days and later evenings, which bring the punters in?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?