And we think we have problems.........

Forum Editor 09:54 28 May 2007

click here

I've been to Shanghai on many occasions, and each time I go there I wonder how long it can all go on working. Thamestown is quite an experience.

wee eddie 10:07 28 May 2007

How about an Annual Auction for Passes to the Congestion Charge Zone.

There would need to be a Limit to the Number of Passes to make the Auction worth while. Maybe one could then trade them on eBay!

I can see Red Ken making a nice little earner out of such a scheme.

Forum Editor 10:15 28 May 2007

It's an idea, but London's traffic problems pale when compared to those in Shanghai. The bridges and tunnels across the river turn into a motorist's nightmare very morning and evening, and getting a cab is like winning the lottery.

The Shanghai region has an economy which is half the size of India's, and it's still growing. It's almost frightening, the way the city knows how to make money. Within 10 years or so it aims to become the richest economic region on the planet, and unless the communist central committee steps in to stop it I think it will happen.

amonra 11:07 28 May 2007

The sailors in the late 19th century said life in Shanghai was riotous, what's changed ???

wee eddie 11:24 28 May 2007

It's an interesting thought but maybe Shanghai may, perforce, become a leader in the Green Revolution.

I can remember when a Traffic Jam in St Helier (Jersey) was sufficiently unusual to make a Headline in the local paper. That was a wonderful place to live.

TopCat® 13:46 28 May 2007

I believe that traffic congestion in almost all large and growing metropolitan regions around the world is here to stay, for the foreseeable future. Indeed, it is almost certain to get worse during the next few decades, mainly because of rising populations and wealth. This will be true no matter what public and private policies are adopted to combat congestion.

People congregate in large numbers in those places where they want or have to be, especially when commuting to their place of work or doing the school run, for example. Many often find that public transport, a favourite alternative often espoused by the politicians, is inconvenient, infrequent or just too expensive for them to consider, so their own private transport appears on our roads.

The conclusion that traffic congestion is inevitable does not mean it must grow unchecked. Doing little will only lead to further total grid-lock in cities around the world, especially at peak times. It is up to the highway planners and governments to produce long-term, environmentally friendly answers, looking well into the future and not at the usual short-term, cost-cutting measures that ultimately fall short.

It's a huge task facing these city planners, but with determination and intelligent planning and with adequate funding assured, then hopefully congestion can be held in check. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?