We need people like this

Forum Editor 13:12 26 May 2007

click here

in our midst, and it's always sad to learn of yet another charismatic figure entering a decline.

I met George on several occasions in the 1980's and it was always a memorable experience.

Totally-braindead 13:41 26 May 2007

Not my sort of music but you have to admire the man and the way he carrys on regardless of his medical condition.

TopCat® 13:49 26 May 2007

George Melly certainly is a colourful and charismatic character and I've enjoyed many of his excellent performances in the past. I have never met him in person or seen him 'live' but I've certainly missed his entertaining appearances on our screens. Great stuff.

I am very sorry to learn of his deteriorating health and hope he remains lucid for the rest of his days. His personality exuded warmth and passion right out from the screen and I believe he will fight his illness for as long as he can. I wish him well. TC.

Forum Editor 14:03 26 May 2007

when I met him. We had some business to conduct, and he insisted that we did it during the intervals in his performances. He was the epitome of professionalism and courtesy, but it was plain to see that his music came first.

I'm not a jazz fan, but I like anyone who is a little larger than life, and George certainly fits that bill.

Legolas 15:23 26 May 2007

Dementia is a terrible illness to see a loved one go from a capable clever person to one who was a shadow of the person you knew is harrowing, unfortunately I speak from experience my Mother died seven years ago of this illness.

egapup 16:16 26 May 2007

I work with dementia....horrible.

wee eddie 17:50 26 May 2007

where he played quite frequently.

It was a Sunday Lunchtime thing, a so-called Jam Session and you never knew who would be there, but GM was a regular. Jazz-Men earned remarkably little money then so I suppose that the contents of the beer mugs that were handed around every couple of times must have been useful.

Chris the Ancient 20:18 26 May 2007

I'm not really a jazz person either; but I have had the pleasure of seeing George doing live shows a few times. What a showman.

And what a shame.

CtA

DrScott 00:10 27 May 2007

at Ronnie Scott's a few years ago at New Year. He was fantastic, but I thought he did look rather unwell .

alB 15:35 28 May 2007

I worked on stage lighting at a couple of George Melly concerts in Liverpool, he was with John chilterns Feetwarmers, what a showman, two songs stick in my memory, My Canary's got circles under its eyes and a fantastic rendition of Frankie and Johnny that had everybody in the place crying with laughter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone