We know this site costs a great deal to run,

Forum Editor 23:57 27 Jun 2010

but we're mere beginners compared to the government.

The Central Office of Information has disclosed the fact that in the year 2009 - 2010 the government spent £94m on website development and running costs and £32m on web staff. Yes, that's around £615,000 every week for people who keep website content up to date.

One site,the UK Trade and Investment website, cost £4 million to build, and averaged 28,000 visitors a month - each visitor cost us £11.78

Now I know that some of you, like me, know a thing or two about what goes into designing and developing a website, so perhaps you would like to click here and tell me where you see £4 millions' worth of work.

The NHS website spent £5 million in 2009 on "marketing and customer relations"

Excuse me - what was someone doing that cost the taxpayers over £96,000 a week; what marketing and customer relations effort was needed for a National Health Service? We're a captive audience, aren't we?

Can you tell that I'm utterly incensed by all this?

Þ² 00:28 28 Jun 2010

You should be in on it FE!

Quickbeam 00:56 28 Jun 2010

The FE Having a rant, who will put the red padlock on it if it gets out of control...?

Kevscar1 02:28 28 Jun 2010

He's not having a rant, he's angling for a massive pay rise to match his talents.

mole44 04:42 28 Jun 2010

FE should get a pay rise of 70%,after all keeping us all in order is sometimes like herding cats.Were a good bunch though,were almost family where we all get on with only the odd spat.FE you run the Rolls Royce of forums from us all thankyou.

wiz-king 05:26 28 Jun 2010

Bring in a consultant or two. *grin*
This is only a part of the 'problem' of over 800 websites owned by the government and its quangos.
eg. click here

Mike D 08:19 28 Jun 2010

Totally agree.
People around me tell me that I am an old git when I tell them that 25 years ago, whilst working for BT, I was involved in the commissioning of a new hospital and there was one hospital secretary and 3 or 4 clerical support staff, this grew only slightly until the 90s when a whole day care centre was given over to NHS managers who seem to outnumber the frontline staff. Are they adding value, I doubt it.

Whinge over.

Big L 266 08:20 28 Jun 2010

Hello.

Forum Editor....Lets start a campaign to get Forum Editor elected as Minister Of Governmental Waste & Computer Website Reforms & Abolitions.

All those in favour say 'aye'!

'Aye'!

Big L 266

morddwyd 08:57 28 Jun 2010

'We know this site costs a great deal to run,'

Actually we don't, we just assume so because it's a good well run site (not just the editing, but the whole system) and these things cost money.

Never having been involved in site building I've no idea if this site costs £1,000 a day, a week, a month or even an hour.

johndrew 10:11 28 Jun 2010

"... £10 for the work experience lad who built the site to get a burger."

Should have gone to McDonald`s; only £2.99 there.

spuds 12:34 28 Jun 2010

If you look closely, some of the government websites and that includes local council's, are not updated on a daily or weekly basis, so the information might be obsolete already.

I recall when the government pension website came into being. Having spent 2 hours going in circles, I simply gave up.

Its a bit like my banks website. You want marketing and sales, no problem, but anything else, then its back of the queue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache