We hear a lot about accountability these days.

Forum Editor 09:09 29 May 2017

Does anyone agree with my feeling that there should be some serious internal accountability for this weekend's British Airways IT fiasco?

wee eddie 09:18 29 May 2017

Yes

oresome 09:52 29 May 2017

Is anyone suggesting that there won't be some accountability?

The airline has lost millions, suffered significant reputational damage and caused misery for thousands of it's customers.

I hardly think the IT director will go into work Tuesday morning and life will carry on as normal.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:56 29 May 2017

Yes - my old firm was always on about accountability (looking for someone to blame).

But after the NHS computer problems and the chaos that caused, All companies should have looked into the robustness of their systems including the power supply to those system. The local supermarkets lose alot of custom when the tills go down. (Isn't hindsight wonderful :0)

£!00M is a lot of money to have to pay out.

My sister should have flown to Rome early Sunday morning eventually got away 9 hours late.

wee eddie 10:41 29 May 2017

The chances are that the Person who made the decision, has left the company, years ago.

There is little point in castigating those currently in office, who have been restrained by their current budgets and are stuck with the legacy system that they inherited

Forum Editor 10:43 29 May 2017

Is anyone suggesting that there won't be some accountability?

I wouldn't know, but BA has been trying some intensive whitewashing. An email that amounted to a gagging order went out to IT staff on Sunday - amongst other things, it asked that nobody talks to the media.

Sending emails like that is a very stupid move - the minute you ask people not to talk to the media, you guarantee that at least one of them will. That's exactly what happened in this case.

The immediate cost of this debacle to BA is estimated at £150 million in cash terms.Goodwill damage may well end up costing the company a lot more.

When something like this happens, we hear the usual complaints from customers - that the airline doesn't provide enough information about what happened, and what is going to happen. They are left in limbo, often at the airport, for hours and tempers rise. They watch TV and the internet, and they see officials attempting cover-ups. I just cannot understand why they don't release a flood of information as the crisis unfolds - people who are informed are far less likely to become incensed.

Cymro. 11:29 29 May 2017

I suppose the ultimate accountability is where the person or persons responsible are sacked without references. Sometimes someone may be asked to resign on a full pension and all too often not even that. How much does a mistake have to cost a company before someone looses their job? I suppose the higher up the ladder they are the more difficult it is to get rid of them.

john bunyan 12:20 29 May 2017

Big companies must.have back up including stand by generators for computers. No excuses .

LastChip 12:25 29 May 2017

I think there's a lot more to this than a power failure. Power failures can be fixed in fairly short order. It's not beyond the expertise of engineers to bring in emergency generators and set up a new power supply within hours, let alone days. Indeed, any decent commercial data centre will have built in emergency power.

This smells like a gigantic cover up to me and has not only cost BA millions in lost revenue, but also a yet to be calculated lost customer confidence, resulting in lost revenue in the future.

Their treatment of customers (if you can believe the media), is a master class in how not to do it. I'm sure trainers in customer care will use it as a classic example of a complete failure and collapse of a major business.

Will all the board members survive? I expect so - the top never suffer. It's always some underling that takes the brunt of bad decisions at the top.

Quickbeam 12:34 29 May 2017

I think that the most surprising thing is that such a rare emergency wasn't planned for and that they didn't have the ability to transfer their flight plans etc to other airlines IT systems as an emergency continuity exercise.

There must be several reasons possible that could lead to a cause of a major system failure problem, not least a deliberate terrorist disruption action.

Aitchbee 12:41 29 May 2017

There must be several reasons possible that could lead to a cause of a major system failure problem, not least a deliberate terrorist disruption action.

2 of my own personal systems went down twice yesterday caused by local intermittant lightning strikes. I lost some data but have backups in case this well predicted event occurs.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires