A watery subject!

spuds 12:21 16 May 2010

Perhaps an item for discussion among our knowledgeable forum members?.

Water as always been noted for its persuasion to find any route for exit and harm, and I have a problem regarding this fact. We have a reasonably sized wooden porch, that was installed about 12/14 years ago. and in wet weather water as started to trickle in from hard to locate places. Tried the usual 'sealants' with no avail, so it was recommended that we re-painted the exterior in a 'flexy plastic' self-sealing type paint. Tried the main Dulux distributor, but they recall a product that was available, but no longer.

So back to the original discussion item. What ideas do you think would remedy the problem, short of demolishing the now well established and positioned porch. A sea faring 'yacht' paint perhaps?.

Forum Editor 12:49 16 May 2010

You say it's a wooden one - does that mean the walls are covered with timber cladding? If so, is the cladding of the horizontal 'shiplap' design (which it should be), or is it of some other type?

Either way, you're not going to cure the problem permanently by using any kind of paint.

Tell me how it's constructed, and I'll offer a solution.

jack 14:44 16 May 2010

Boaty people tell tales of discovering and sealing leaks in clicker built[shiplap] small boats by filling it with water and putting oats/oatmeal in.
As the water leaked out it rakes with it the oats and fill the gaps.

In your case perhaps sharp sand and cement mix brushed over the outside may be a solution.
But as Peter suggests - tell us more- or a photo better.

spuds 15:57 16 May 2010

Just back from a nice lunch.Very nice too.

Now to construction: Timber framework with all joints and sections 'routed' into each other, and glued. Main panels are timber frame and bottom, with sealed glass inserts(similar to exterior doors). Bottom support frame consists of hardwood, lipped and 'glued' to concrete plinth. Sealed inside and outside.Flat timber board roof triple sealed and double roof felt with top sealant.

Water appears in about three areas throughout the construction at ground level (usually after good downpour), but its not coming from the hardwood bottom 'sealed' frame.In fact its extremely hard to see where the water is coming from. Not a lot of water, but enough to raise concern and paper towels to soak up content. Due to construction method, dismantling would be out of the question.

Originally the timber was treated with exterior wood stain, then re-primed and painted with a previously sold type 'flexy paint' which still appears to be in good condition. No cracks etc.

Hope that gives an idea of the construction and possible problem.

Forum Editor 16:15 16 May 2010

It sounds as if the walls have a glazed top section with timber lower section, but how is the timber lower section faced? is it clad externally, and if so, what about the inner face?

Did you see the porch being built, and if so, how was the lower timber plate 'glued' to the concrete base? You say something about it being 'sealed' inside and out, but with what?

spuds 16:47 16 May 2010

The actual sections are very similar to the construction of a timber exterior door,part wood, part sealed safety glass, that can be purchased from any DIY outlet. There is no cladding as such, just tongue and grooved glued joints. Inner and outer are the same.

The ground level hardwood frame was sealed with the correct sealant to the concrete base, partially screwed, then reliant on the weight of the above structure. The frame also extends over the concrete with a water drip groove underneath.

The above timberwork is then fitted onto the hardwood frame in a 'routed' lipped sealing joint (tongue-grooved).

As previously mentioned, the porch as been up some considerable time, and I now suspect that it might be a previous glued or sealant that is failing.

The previous flexy paint I was referring to,was based on a type of rubberised content that sealed, waterproofed and flexed with weather conditions. The Dulux distributor people seem to have slight knowledge of the product, but cannot find it on their stock list.

As for the original construction, I did it as a DIY venture, and it as up to now stood the test of time.

Woolwell 16:59 16 May 2010

How did you join the porch to the house and in particular how does its roof connect to the house? Is there any flashing?
Where does the rain from the roof drain to?

spuds 17:08 16 May 2010

The walls are stucco type and the timber frames where screwed and sealant fixed. The roof as lead flashing into brickwork.

The roof drainage is reliant on the 'angled' flat room allowing water to drain away. The interior of roof section is boxed and accessible from inside, and that appears dry.

john bunyan 17:18 16 May 2010

B&Q sell a rubber flexible material, I think called Isoflex. Not to paint everywhere, but I have used it to reinforce the seal of a lead flashing that was not overlapped enough. Maybe worth some around the base or at the point where the flasing joins the house wall.

Woolwell 17:24 16 May 2010

No gutters or downpipes off the porch? If not rain water will be splashing against the lower walls and in the long term it will penetrate.
I would start though by checking the flashing for any cracks and the sealant between the porch and the house.

Forum Editor 17:28 16 May 2010

The clue is in the words 'tongued&grooved'.

If you use a T&G joint in a vertical configuration on any exterior application it will eventually leak. T&G joints are designed for interior use, and will never be permanently weatherproof.

I suspect that water is entering the joints, and gravity is doing the rest - resulting in pools of water at the base. Thermal movement will ensure that any type of external paint or sealant will eventually fail.

There's no permanent solution, short of covering the outside with the correct material - shiplap boarding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017