Before the watershed

day2strike 21:40 28 Jun 2008

Whilst watching Porridege this evening, Fletcher gives the V sign, but it's blanked out by UK Gold.
Is this because it happened before the watershed of 9pm or censorship gone mad?

rdave13 21:42 28 Jun 2008

Ask Sky. They must have a forum.

peter99co 21:57 28 Jun 2008

It is the first time I have seen it done! Is it supposed to mean something rude? I think it's nanny telling us something. I use the sign a lot I got it from Compo on Last of the summer wine.

rdave13 22:07 28 Jun 2008

Hmm..means Victory but depends how the hand is raised.
Could mean err ..disappear sexually . Or some such.

peter99co 22:29 28 Jun 2008

Get away!

csqwared 22:31 28 Jun 2008

A common myth, dispelled sometime ago by QI, was that the sign was originated by the archers at Agincourt. It was said the French cut off the two 'bowstring' fingers if they captured archers. The sign simply meant "look you *******'s still got mine".

WhiteTruckMan 22:33 28 Jun 2008

the taunt of king henrys archers to the french (who had promised to cut off the first two fingers of any longbowman captured alive, hence rendering their main skill on a battlefield ineffective)?

WTM

WhiteTruckMan 22:39 28 Jun 2008

I dont know if it was a myth or not, but it sounds plausible at least.

But another thought has struck me:watershed. Everyone seems to know what it means, but where did the use of the word originally come from? I had a brief look at that cornucopia of modern wisdom humbly referred to simply as wikipedia but even that just says what it is, not why.

Any got any ideas? even if just plausible guesses?

WTM

peter99co 22:42 28 Jun 2008

I think it is a wonderful expressive gesture that if used at the right time and moment can transmit exactly what you mean.

There are places abroad where similar signs are used and can get you in a lot of trouble.

rdave13 23:15 28 Jun 2008

Get away!

al7478 02:59 29 Jun 2008

yes ive noticed it a couple of times. Some music channels silence "offensive" words or phrases well after the watershed. Silly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?